View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 07:30 AM
wendi3107

Default Bel Air / Sewmor 606

Hi everyone,

I've found this site to be a great resource for info in the past, and joined in the hopes of getting some advice about a Bel Air 606 (which appears to be the same as the Sewmor 606), and hopefully have an opportunity to return the favor sometime.

Although I already have a small collection of vintage Singers & Pfaffs, I took a chance on this machine because it was love at first sight. It ran so smoothly that it was almost silent and it's even prettier in person than in the photo. Not that it could be run for more than a few seconds, the foot pedal produced some smoke, and the motor even more smoke.

Haven taken it apart to start cleaning, oiling, etc., and looked at it more closely, I've discovered that in addition to needing to repair (or replace) the motor & pedal, the stitch length adjuster turns and has a full range of motion, but moving it doesn't seem to have any effect on the motion of the feed dogs. Everything else seems ok (hard to tell until I can actually sew on it)...

If any of you have experience with these machines, I would greatly appreciate whatever advice about repairs you could provide -- how feasible is it that I could repair the motor & pedal (in the past I have just replaced bad ones, but because of the color match I'd love to fix these if possible), and how likely is that the stitch length adjustment can be fixed?

Thank you!!
Wendy
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-8.jpg