Bark Collars

Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Bark Collars

We have a dog that barks when we are out in public. Otherwise he is a sweet boy. We've taken him to obedience class and he did really well. He is part border collie and gets focused on someone or something in a heartbeat and is almost impossible to redirect. He want to take him on vacations with us but his barking is a roadblock for us. My DH thinks we should try a bark collar (static collar) but I'm a little hesitant. Do any of you have any experience with these collars - pros or cons? Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Stick it on your own wrist and zap yourself. Then decide. Some are pretty painful.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM

I'm so happy you asked before purchasing an anti-bark collar. It shows that you are a loving, caring pet owner! I train using positive reinforcement techniques and I can tell you first hand that these collars (that zap and spray) are far more harmful to your dog that you can possibly believe. The best way to get your dog to stop barking is through counter-conditioning. It's not hard at all, but it will take some time. Most likely your dog is barking because he is stressed. But even if it is because he is super excited and happy, the same training applies.

Here is a forum for positive training http://positively.com/forum/index.php

Go there and post your situation with your dog and you will get positive, very helpful advice, I promise! The more details you put into your post (dogs age, food fed, daily schedule including meals, exercise and training, exactly what makes him bark when out (people, dogs, squirrels, etc.) the better. Several of the ladies there are positive behaviorists/trainers as a career and they will offer you excellent advice and direction.

And please let me add, I'm sure some folks will respond that they had success with punishment techniques and collars, but trust me, there is a better way that does NOT hurt, scare or stress your beloved dog. Good luck and I know you will find the answers you need on the forum I linked to.

Last edited by Suzette316; 08-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Try drsfostersmith.com or your local pet store they have options that won't zap/shock your dog. They use a citronella spray, vibration or ultrasonic tones to interrupt barking.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I have never used one.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 PM

We have a shock/warning collar for our bichon. It's manually controlled. When she barks, we push the button that provides a warning ringing then tell her to stop. No shock necessary. You have to stay with it, but now all we have to do is show her the handheld, TV remote or phone and she obeys.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Worth the time to read:

http://kb.rspca.org.au/Should-I-use-...oblem_446.html

(The RSPCA is the Australian Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.)
Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Worth the time to read:

Should I use an anti-barking collar to treat my dog's barking problem?

http://kb.rspca.org.au/Should-I-use-...oblem_446.html

(The RSPCA is the Australian Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Good advice!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Cyn

I am not going to get into right or wrong but we used one to get our beagle to learn quiet command. We zapped ourselves on the lowest number and it wasn't bad. We actually never had to shock her since the beep worked perfect. I believe it surprised her and she would look at us. We are fine with her barking to protect her domain but when we give the command quiet especially at o'dark thirty, we expect her to listen. We put it on her for about a week and everything was resolved in that amt of time. It was expensive but worth it. If the neighbors had complained, she could get in trouble.