Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip to the fabric Mecca >

Trip to the fabric Mecca

Trip to the fabric Mecca

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 AM

Default Trip to the fabric Mecca

On my itinerary today are the following places - Hamburg and Harrisburg for my husband, but more importantly, Lancaster, Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand, and Goodville for me. Did I mention that I really do not need any fabric? I am planning to hit the wonderful Central Market and the Quilt Museum in Lancaster, the Old Country Store in Intercourse, The Fabric Shack in Bird-in-Hand, and the famous fabric superstore in Goodville. I am too scared to take a husband and two kids to Obi's. Wish me luck since I will be operating with only one credit card, sitnce my Visa got hacked a few days ago. Weather forecast - rain and thunderstorms, lovely! My fabric will get wet!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 AM

Down the street and across from Old Country Store is Zooks. Go there. They are a fabric store as well. They are the sister store to Sauder's. Also, for DH and the kids, Straussburg has an antique train museum and you can take a train ride. In Straussburg is another Zooks. They have crafts and antiques, but also a cute fabric section with quite reasonable prices. That store might interest DH since they don't use electric lights or fans. Out on 30 by Kings and Diener's restaurant is a store that has their fabric section upstairs. They have a nice supply of fat quarters and a sale room in the back.

Further down from the Fabric Shack in Bird-in-Hand is the Log Cabin, and further still on the other side of the road is Sylvia Petershiems. Sylvia's doesn't have a lot of fabric in her shop, but if you can convince them to show you the inside of the barn/garage, you've hit the jackpot. It's normally only open during the quilt show, but I think she will let people in once in a while otherwise.

Near Shady Maple and Goods (and Obie's) is a newer place, but I can't remember exactly where it's at. I think the name is Farm Family or something like that. It's a lovely shop and the owner is delightful.

Those are the other shops I can think of. I love, love, love getting away to Lancaster. Have fun!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:21 AM

I was just there on Wed. And I second Nilla's suggestion of Family Farm Quilts. Just down from Shady Maple on the way to Intercourse on the right hand side just by the traffic light for Rt. 322 (I believe that's the route #). I was able to score fabric there for which I've been looking for quite a while now. Very nice selection of fabs and good pricing. I normally only buy for projects and don't really have anything new in the works currently so didn't buy anything else. If you like flannels, you've GOT to go to Fabric Shack. I think they have the best selection of flannels going. Great quality and not just 'baby' flannel. As well as other awesome fabrics and again, great pricing.

Have fun. Sorry, can't offer any suggestions for DH and kiddos for while you're drooling.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 AM

Wish I was you!!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:14 AM

I wish I were you too!!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM

Have a great time and let us know what goodies you find!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Temptation! temptation! temptation!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Sounds like fun..... wish I were going along.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM

Yes, please let us live vicariously through your shopping adventures. Take pictures if you can.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Sounds so awesome, have fun!!!!!