Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First "floating top" quilt - Scrappy D9P >

First "floating top" quilt - Scrappy D9P

First "floating top" quilt - Scrappy D9P

Old 08-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
Don't know what floating is, but the quilt looks perfect for napping. Great Job.
Normally when you load a quilt onto a frame for long arming, you put the backing on 2 rollers, then you put one side of the top of the quilt on a roller. so the only thing hanging from the frame is the batting. As you advance the quilt on the rollers, it is supposed to keep everything aligned and straight.
Floating a top means you do not attach it to the roller. so it basically "floats", this provides the ability to shift it if needed. However, it has a drawback that it does shift It is generally recommended to baste it along the top and sides, especially when you float a top. I always baste mine, more because the backing/batting are under tension, via the rollers and the clips you put on the sides to add tension in that direction. I find basting the top keeps it under tension as well, and keeps things nice and smooth.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM

I also float my tops. Faster to start and less chance of the top and back not being properly aligned.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I float mine also. I took off that bar as I just was not using it. I have the same machine that you do.
If I like floating, I will be taking that bar off, too. Will be so much easier to put batting on, etc. Just wondering, does that give you anymore quilting room? Probably not....just easier to set up the quilt sandwich??? BTW, do you have the same frame? If so, just wondering what the name of this frame is called? Is it the professional studio frame or what? Mine is 12 ft.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:02 PM

I am so jealous of all of you discussing how you "float" the quilts you are quilting. Perhaps someday I will get there :-) By the way....that quilt is really sweet :-)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM

While I appreciate the explanation of floating, I don't think I'll ever get accomplished enough to use a frame like that. It's totally amazing all the wonderful tools that are available!!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

How great!!! I float smaller tops. I can't seem to keep them nice if they are bigger than a lap size. Then I use the rollers. It does save alot of time doing it that way. It doesn't work well for me with any thick poly batting though. No matter what size, I have to use the rollers or it's wonky.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Very nice quilt.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Not having a quilting machine I really don't know what floating is but I can tell you this - that's a great scrappy D9P.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about (floating quilts...?) but I think it turned out nice! LOL!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 AM

Love that D9P! Pretty materials. I, also, float my tops and have been successful in floating several king-sized quilts. So often I just need to check underneath to see how the batting is lying.