Herb Gardeners

Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Default Herb Gardeners

Looking for information on how to dry and when to harvest herbs grown at home. (is it alright if they bloom)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM

I just cut them off as needed and some extra then I wash them and hang them by clips to the knobs on my kitchen cabinets. Once they are dry, I crumple them into clean glass jars. If they bloom, I cut off the flowers.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM

I cut them, tie the stems, and hang in a cool dark place. I cut them as needed to trim down. I've got some oregano and thyme hanging already.

Some herbs you WANT to go into flower, for example Dill weed as the seed can be used as well as the weed. Generally speaking, I dead-head all of mine with the exception of the dill.

Here's a nice link, especially if you plan on using your herbs for teas.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...380726966.html

Hmmm ... some conflicting data here.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/106/

I personally am going to keep dead-heading my herbs. The basics of plants (especially annuals) is that once they flower and seed, they've done their job and they die (or hibernate). So to keep my herbs and annuals (and some perennials) in flower and/or alive, I dead head.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

I cut a long stems and hang them upside down to dry. I freeze my basil cut up and put in ice trays. When I need it I just pop an ice cube in whatever I am cooking.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

It is best to keep the blooms cut off.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM

I read somewhere online that you can nook the herbs for say 60 seconds, place in a bag or clean jar. Don't crush them till you're ready to use them as they keep their flavor better that way. If 60 seconds is not enough to dry them, then continue with 15 second intervals till it dried enough. I also use basil to keep bugs away. I have some in my garage as the spiders seem to think that's their domain and also have them in my basement bathroom as its not used as much so again the spiders and bugs think its their room. Since putting the basil in my garage, I see little to no webs out there now. The smell isn't bad either as I happen to like basil in most everything I cook up anyway.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM

Snooze2978, be very careful drying anything in the microwave, if it is in there bit too long, it can flash when you open the door. ask me how I know
Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 AM

Yes, I understand as my sister had a fire started in hers when she nuked it too much. That's why I stated to go in 15 second intervals afterwards. I find 60 seconds works most times for me. If I just hang them up upside down, they're fairly dry within a day or two. Have some in my basement bathroom and garage. No spiders in sight now. Hate those little spiders. They seem to take over if you're not careful and I'm trying not to have to use insecticides whenever possible as I have 2 kitties indoors and I don't want to expose them as they are always curious and into things.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Haven't done it for awhile but used to tie into bundles and hang upside down in a cool dark area in the kitchen.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM

just got a tip from a friend, today: with fresh herbs, like basil, rosemary, etc, one can "freeze" them in an ice cube tray, filling each section with olive oil. the oil hardens, you can pop each cube out, and store them in the freezer in labelled bags. then you can pop them into whatever you need them for. (water works, too, but of you're making a pesto sauce, for instance, the oil is part of the recipe, right along with the basil--and you can use the rosemary cubes to rub down a chicken, tuck under the skin, or float in a pot of soup. ditto with sage. i'm going to do this this week. makes my mouth water, thinking about winter cooking!)