Screws won't budge.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Screws won't budge.

Trying to loosen the two screws to remove faceplate and clean the stuck threads. Have poured tri-flow oil over the area last night. Still no luck. What do you do? (The machine is question is one of my 301a's.)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Tri-flow is a lubricant. It will loosen slightly stuck stuff, but I use Kriol for stubborn screws and bolts.

With that said, you can try a hair dryer ... Gently heat. then try again.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
amh

My solution has always been WD-40. If they are rusted in there you may have to apply and let sit many times. I would apply whatever you are using a couple times a day for a week and then give it a try.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

WD-40 is a good choice for this as well.

You can also try "tapping" it. Make sure you are using a good screwdriver (not plastic handle) and put it on the screw like you were trying to remove it, then give the handle end of the screwdriver a couple light but sharp taps with a hammer. sometimes the vibration will separate the bond that the internal rust has formed, if not enough to remove it perhaps enough to let the penetrating oil work.

I use Kroil now ,but used to use WD-40 and liquid wrench.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Mavis,

Besides the penetrating oils I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small ratchet with screw driver bits set. Quite inexpensive.
With that you can get a straight shot on the screw head. I've noticed that most machines have obstructions in the way preventing a straight shot.

Joe
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mavis,

Besides the penetrating oils I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small ratchet with screw driver bits set. Quite inexpensive.
With that you can get a straight shot on the screw head. I've noticed that most machines have obstructions in the way preventing a straight shot.

Joe
Yes - that little ratchet screwdriver - it is only a couple bucks but it sure does the job...
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM

Good news & bad news. Cannot find the angled screwdriver that my dh insists I borrowed before. Have torn through my sewing area looking for it. Every little screwdriver I find is still to long handled to fit properly and I don't have a ratchet one (yet!). In looking under the machine, removing the bottom tray, and inspecting to see if I could access the area from below (I couldn't) and turning the machine upright, fiddling with lowering & raising the feed dogs, I finally loosened the caught thread and was able to pull it out. Rethreaded and inserted new bobbin and it's working like a charm!!! I know I must still keep lubricating and get a proper tool to get that face plate off some day and give that area a good cleaning. Thank you all for your good suggestions!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

Some times I don't thing oiling those particular screws works - the oil doesn't have a good way to penetrate. I think strong arms and a ratchet screwdriver works. Too much heat can discolor the machine. The wrong screw drive can tear up the screws and still not have the plate off. I have a real long screw driver and some times it works. A long time ago a repair man gave me one he ground off at an angle. It sure worked nice. It was stolen one time when someone broke in. I'm sure they were disappointed but not as disappointed as I was.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mavis,

Joe
I also got one of those from Harbor Freight and they are marvelous. I keep mine handy all the time for use in those tight places.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM

If it's really stuck - get out the torch and the 1" impact driver. . .

But since we are talking sewing machines here, one trick to try is after you've let it soak with penetrating oil, as you are putting pressure down and turning, tap the end of the screwdriver with a small ball peen hammer.