Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this be salvaged? >

Can this be salvaged?

Can this be salvaged?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Can this be salvaged?

I've only done a couple small projects before. This spring I decided to make a quilt for my grandson's bed. I bought pre-cut strips to make a puzzle quilt. Because the puzzle pieces had to "interlock" I had to cut up all the individual pieces to lay out the whole quilt before ever sewing anything. The layout took forever!!!!!! By the time I was ready to sew, many of the pieces had frayed badly. I was careful when sewing to make sure I wasn't just sewing frayed edges together and did an overlock stitch on some of the worst ones, but didn't do it on every seam. Before adding the fleece backing, I decided I should wash it just to make sure the colors wouldn't run and the seams would hold. Well, the seams came apart in several places and the edges are now frayed well past the seam allowance. [ATTACH=CONFIG]434683[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]434684[/ATTACH] Is there a way to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg   008.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM

I will pray for you. Hugs too
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM

oh no!!! so sorry this happened. I know some experts here on the board will give you good advice. I'm not sure how I would go about it.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:24 AM

How about making some applique pieces to stitch over these spots. You could make a lady bug or a caterpillar or other "boy" things.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM

What about appliquéing strips of the same fabric, which would add a different spin on the pattern by adding dimension.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I like the idea of appliques (strips and pieces) over the fraying areas. If you machine applique, you will add more quilting through all the layers. May I suggest that you increase your stitch length? That is one of the reasons why the quilting lines are popping.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

even strips with folded in edges over all seams. in one solid color, black or what ever. or some striped fabric. lay over the seams and stitch down both sides. should rescue this quilt well. good luck.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

This is one of the reasons why you want to avoid washing a top before it is quilted. Washing a quilt top places a lot of stress on the seams.

What I would do at this point is use iron-on interfacing on the wrong side to stabilize the seam areas that have opened up (of course pushing the fabric together as much as possible). Then I would either sew strips over the seams or add applique over the opened seams as others have suggested.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Oh, no! If it happened to me I think I would do some fusible applique over the spots in cute, boy designs. I think the fusible would help stabilize the weak seams for future washings.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM

I am in the process of fixing a quilt I had made for my niece. Their dog chewed a hole through the entire quilt. Had to make a new piece (fortunately still had some of the correct fabrics) to replace what was missing. I have hand stitched the replacement piece in the top so far. A tad painful but came out pretty well if I must say so. You could try doing that if you have the correct fabrics. Much easier if you haven't quilted it yet! This one I've had to take out some of the hand quilting as well. Will post the whole saga on this one once completed and photo documented!