Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Salvaged In Joplin Tornado

Blog Entries
    We were in Springfield Mo for a wedding last weekend and decided to go by Joplin on our way back to KC. It was really devastating and heartbreaking to see what has happened to this lovely town. The news pictures just can't quite give the full magnitude of this tornado. You just have to be there to feel for these people who have lost everything. But here is a neat picture. Someone had salvaged this sewing machine and set it on the foundation of this house that had been completely destroyed, probably trying to salvage part of a memory of better days in the sewing room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is so sad to see how awful things look there, but seeing the machine sitting all by itself in all that rubble kinda puts a smile on your face.

Blog Entries
    The way the weather has changed in the last few years this a reality check. It is heart breaker to know that one of us would be sitting there. Just working away on our pride project. My best wishes to the one that sat with this machine. Also all their loved ones and friends.

I look at that old machine as telling a very sad tale. After years of use, probably with different people busily creating and mending clothes and maybe making quilts, stuffed toys and other crafts, suddenly she's been flung into chaos, had her underpinnings torn away, and she's out in the elements with an uncertain future, and the person who may have had many happy hours working with her is nowhere to be seen. I hope the family is safe. The owner of that machine could very well be one of our QB members.

Blog Entries
    So sad!

Blog Entries
    Can't help but wonder how many of the newer machines with plastic parts survived.

Blog Entries
    There she sits...one tough old girl who has now gone through a terrible storm, waiting for her owner to show up. And if cleaned up and given a new base, she would go on to sew for another generation!! I love these vintage machines...they sure were made to last!

Power Poster
    Love and hope is there!

So sad. My heart and prayer to them all.

Blog Entries
    Wow. Devistation as far as you can see. So sad. The bright side is the little sewing machine sitting there waiting to sew some more.

It is nice to see that the sewing machine is still there, but so sad to see all of the destruction that was caused on that stormy day! Our prayers are with all of the survivors! Thanks for sharing the pictures. You are right, the TV just didn't show everything!

So sad My prayers go out to al the people.