Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Pulled out my Bernina record 830 today >

Pulled out my Bernina record 830 today

Pulled out my Bernina record 830 today

Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Default Pulled out my Bernina record 830 today

I was very irritated with it when I put it away. My mother-in-law gave it to me, because I was using a cheap singer. Somehow it got out of timing and I took it in and had it fixed. When I got it back it still was skipping stitches so I talked my hubby into buying a bran new Janome.

Almost gave this Bernina as a trade in..but ended up using my husbands grandmothers machine. It was an off bran...not sure what year or anything but it was one with plastic gears.

Then I found this site and found out I have a good machine. So I pulled it out today and she ran like a dream. Now I need to ask my Mother-in-law if she has the red case for it, if she doesn't I will find one.

Then buy a light bulb for it and use this machine again. and to name her.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:15 PM

I love my Bernina Record 830. I was fortunate enough to purchase it when it was brand new. Look your machine up on Ebay. You will be surprised how the value has gone up. Pretty sure mine originally cost about $600 or $700. Of course, that is when $$$ were worth more. LOL

Welcome neighbor!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I bought mine when my Elna died. Since then I've been acquiring machines, but I'm always using my Bernina 830 unless I'm doing embroidery work. I occasionally use my grandmother pfaff 130 usually for heavier duty work. Glad you found out what a great machine you have there.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 AM

I bought a 831 a few months ago (same model, but fewer stitches). I have several vintage sewing machine (including a Bernina 730) but the 831 is my absolute favorite for garnement sewing. It is running so smootly and quietly! I was curious to see how well it would FMQ, so I used it this week to quilt a little minky blanket for my son. No tension issue, nice stitches, it behave perfectly. Really a well made sewing machine and a pleasant tool to use.