Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today? >

Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today?

Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:27 AM

Default Where Do I Start to Clean This Bernina Record 830 I Found Today?

I found this vintage Bernina Record 830 today at one of my local GW stores. It's in rough shape cosmetically, in some spots so bad that at first glance I thought that maybe the motor had caught fire and caused the darkness on the motor housing box. After seeing an example of one on an auction site that showed the same darkness and that machine was in working condition, I worked up the courage to plug it in (the cord is in good condition). The machine hesitated for a second but after a nudge on the wheel, it started to run just fine. Before I run it any more than I have, I wanted to see if I could get some advice from the experts here about oiling, what to be on the look out for in this type of machine, and what I can use on it to make it more attractively cosmetically. I've only worked on old Singers in the past so this Bernina will be a new experience and the price of this venture into unchartered sewing machines only cost me the use of my $5 coupon. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Attached Thumbnails 20160611_135235_resized.jpg   20160611_135211_resized.jpg   20160611_135251_resized.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 AM

I'm not sure why the motor cover has turned that color, should clean up I think. 830 is the top of the line machine, a sought after model.

The top of the free arm pops up, there is a spring action near the bobbin case, in the upper left corner some where. There's often tons of fluff and dust down there. Make sure you take out the presser foot and needle before you attempt it, the finish scratches very easily. All the discoloration along joints in the body is from oil, and it will clean up. I have started to polish my Berninas with resin type car polish, something that will leave a protecting film on top. Bernina and Elna have a relatively delicate paint compaired to others.

The top of the machine comes off too, it's hinged in the back. Do you best to vacuum /blow and poke out dust you see down there, then oil all points indicated by the red dots. The bobbin case pulls out easily, and there is an ring that will come down for further cleaning in there.

If it's sluggish, keep on oiling and cleaning, pay attention to all moving parts under the top lid, move levers up and dow, turn knobs and test sew a bit. Test sew the different stitch patterns. Start using it, and keep up a very tentative oiling and cleaning ritual the next week or so. Make sure you use the right Bernina bobbins, they make the machine behave better (I have tried others with arguable success, but these days I have loads of the right kind).

You have to find the manual and read it, there's lots of helpful illustrations. It's a very nice machine, one of the best :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-12-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

Candace has a group for vintage Bernina machines on Facebook. She is very familiar with the old high end machines.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:42 AM

Is the motor housing plastic? As the decades go by, they can turn darker, some tur horribly yellow. There is probably some kind of vent and heating action going on there that makes the dirt gather and escalate the problem. If the housing is plastic, I have read about ways of bleaching it with peroxide solution and some type of thickener to make a gel or paste of it. It might clean up much more easily though. I have put plastic covers like that in the dish washer a few times, it cleans them very well, but some plastic can't take the temperature, so it's a bit of a chance to do it.

There's a Yahoo Group called Bernina Thirty Somethings, it's a very good place for all kinds of help with these models too. I have a 730 Record, my favorite zigzagger, it's very similar to the 830, slightly different knobs and exterior, but the functions and inners are very close.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-12-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:20 AM

I have one of those machines and find it is easy to clean and repair most things. The motor cover is plastic and discolored over time but it is OK. I found parts online, sewing machines plus I think is the site. I love this machine it is a work horse. I made all my kids clothes and mine on it and upholstered with it and it is still going strong.
Lynda
Old 06-12-2016, 05:52 AM

If you have a Bernina dealer anywhere near where you live I would take it there and have them do a complete service on it. They will clean it and oil any parts that need it and they will adjust the stitching as well.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:03 AM

I have this machine, bought new in 1973. It still works well even though I have sewed enough on it to go to the moon and back. I would recommend you find a good service technician to have the inner parts cleaned, the lint does build up. As for the darker color on the motor housing I think that is just how it naturally is. Mine is also darker, time does it, mine has not been in a fire. If you have that start up hesitation I suggest you check out the foot pedal. The only part I have had to replace is the foot pedal and I have had to do that twice. Other than that, this is a wonderful machine, my current back up and the only one of my four machines I would save it there was a fire. I admit to being spoiled with my high end machines, and would miss the thread cutter, but the 830R is an old friend. As for oiling points look open up the top and look for points with a red coloration. Don't over do it though less is more when it comes to oiling. you can safely open the top cover and the cover over the sewing arm to clean lint and find oiling points. Do see if you can find a copy of the manual. Happy sewing on your new sewing treasure. One more thing, I paid $500. for my machine in 1973 and I see on Ebay they still sell for that and more....
Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 AM

I recently went through this with the same model, my Bernina tech. found evidence of previous fire, wanted nothing to do with the machine, he also with permission confiscated the wires to prevent any future fires. I ended up giving it to Macybaby.
My machine the body was in great shape, needed a new wire brush, new cam and wires and motor-hundreds of $ of repairs.
Good luck with your find, I really liked mine and was sad to see her go but. she is where she needs to be.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

You got a steal! This is the best machine Bernina ever made.

All of the plastic parts do 'yellow' with age....
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 PM

That is my most favorite machine to work on! I notice that the buttonhole mechanism is engaged. So when you go to sew, it will act like it's possessed, and do something you don't expect. It's just the buttonhole system -- the middle knob that's second from the top, on the right. Turn it clockwise until the indicator line is pointing straight up. The plastic motor covers become brittle, and I see a lot of them where the plastic has rotted so bad, there's nothing left for the screws to screw the inner cover into. These machines hold their loop lift and return motion timing settings better than any machine I've worked on. But... the needle/hook distance and thread passage need adjusted quite often. The camstack gear and vertical shaft gear can become cracked if they're the older style. But they can be replaced. The decorative stitch selector lever can freeze-up. But it's nothing that a little "special sauce" won't take care of. Enjoy your machine -- it's a great one!