Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing ideas for Christmas >

Needing ideas for Christmas

Needing ideas for Christmas

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Default Needing ideas for Christmas

I have a small antique booth that isn't doing very well at the moment. I would like to make a few items to sell for Christmas to help with sales and to brighten up the booth to draw customers in. I'm new and not to the point that I could make a quilt for sale. I've seen a lot of ideas but have no idea what would sell or how much to charge. I need to be able to price at double my cost.

Do you have any idea what is going to be hot this year?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

If I knew what was going to be a hot seller this year, I would share. I tend to make things that I enjoy and want to make anyways or things that can be used as gifts.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM

I can't guarantee what will be hot, but some fairly small things that you should be able to sell for double your cost are pillows with ruffles, you could do Christmas theme from purchased pillow sides, or small quilts; pot holders; christmas ornaments in felt or quilted; kitchen towels made from a quilted top with a button to go over the oven handle or refrigerator handle and the bottom being half a purchased terry towel or a folded over terry towel; quilted kleenex box covers - both large, square box, and purse size, maybe even car size soft pack. If you have an embroidery machine you could do linen or flour sack towels with an embroidered motif in the corner or in the center when folded.

Get the pillow forms at half price at JoAnns, Hancock, or online at least 16". You can get 20" pillow forms from IKEA for $4 (called cushion).
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Char has a good idea. Pot holders are quick, and easy. You could make little sets using snowman fabric or the like. As to the price, that is usually a local thing. You might check out other places to see what they are going for.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Table runners are quick to make too and usually sell. Table toppers are nice too. Check out various sites, look for small things to do and make them according to your needs. (Halloween, Fall, Christmas etc.)

You can get ideas from this site, our Quilting board here. Check out the tutorial section, here you can even see how it will be done.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM

If you make pillows, instead of buying the pillow forms ; you can buy a regular bed pillow and cut it in half and stitch it closed. That would only cost you a couple of $$.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:34 AM

pin cushions would be cute too
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Stockings, coasters, wall hangings, table runners, cosmetic bags. You need things as cheap as five bucks for people buying impulse stocking stuffers, or not more than $40.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 AM
cjr

Think about not doing things readily available elsewhere for very little money. Christmas stockings sold everywhere, always on clearance after Christmas. Pincushions do not usually sell; however a few that enhance your antiques in otherwords look like period pieces may sell also they could be used year around. Do a few Holiday pieces, tabletoppers in holiday designs brighten up tables, dressers anything with a flat surface. Do some for other holidays also, you can change as seasons.

A basket or metal washtub set on an angle can hold extras.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM

The potholder and towel ideas are great. Have you thought of some of the aprons in retro patterns?