Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hexagons hand sewn >

Hexagons hand sewn

Hexagons hand sewn

Old 10-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Hexagons hand sewn

Does anyone know what the process of hand sewing small hexagons together is called? It isn't new, but the younger gals are getting together to do this. So I hear :-)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 AM

English Paper Piecing

Here is a link to a tutorial ~ http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html
Old 10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I used Jinny Beyer's method of hand sewing for hexagons. I like it a *lot* better than English paper piecing -- much faster, less work, and (for me, anyway) looks a lot better. But, the "old fashioned" method is paper piecing. I learned Jinny Beyer's method by watching a video checked out from the library years ago.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Prism99,
Jinny's site seems to indicate that she has classes on hexies but they are English Paper Pieced using card stock hexie shapes. Was this in the video you saw???
Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Prism99
I searched everywhere including yourtube for her method but nothing...pls post a link if you can to the method you mentioned.
Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Prism99,
Jinny's site seems to indicate that she has classes on hexies but they are English Paper Pieced using card stock hexie shapes. Was this in the video you saw???
No. I finally found some videos online that show Jinny's standard technique for hand piecing (excerpts from Simply Quilts), and that is the technique I like for piecing hexagons. Here is a link:
http://www.hgtv.com/video/quilting-b...deo/index.html
She probably demonstrates it in her out-of-print CD-ROM too. I remember in the video how ***fast*** she is moving the fabric instead of the needle when she hand pieces. In the Simply Quilts video she really slows it down so people can see how it is done.

She may teach the English paper piecing method simply because it's so popular, and she is a solely hand piecer/hand quilter. I can't believe anyone who has done it both ways would prefer the paper piecing method. Those who do must be much more adept than I am!

Last edited by Prism99; 10-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 AM

I would love to see this method, but it says: the video is not available. Do you have to be member of HGTV?

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
No. I finally found some videos online that show Jinny's standard technique for hand piecing (excerpts from Simply Quilts), and that is the technique I like for piecing hexagons. Here is a link:
http://www.hgtv.com/video/quilting-b...deo/index.html
She probably demonstrates it in her out-of-print CD-ROM too. I remember in the video how ***fast*** she is moving the fabric instead of the needle when she hand pieces. In the Simply Quilts video she really slows it down so people can see how it is done.

She may teach the English paper piecing method simply because it's so popular, and she is a solely hand piecer/hand quilter. I can't believe anyone who has done it both ways would prefer the paper piecing method. Those who do must be much more adept than I am!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 AM

I hand stitch hexagons. I buy the small card stock hexies from my LQS. A pack of 100 is about $4. I use square precut fabric pieces, wrap around the paper piece using 1 or 2 stitches per corner. Same piece of thread, this is a baste stitch and is removed after pieced. I use a spot of Sewline fabric glue in the center of the paper piece to hold fabric in place before basting. The finished pieces are sewn together using a whip stitch. The important trick is to leave the paper piece (which is really card stock) inside your hexie until all 6 sides are connected to another piece. Just line the hexie up, right sides together. Easiest to sew them in rows. If you are careful, the papers can be re used a few times - so be careful when you take them out.

I watched a demo at my LQS. The girl that gave it was in her 20's. The stuff she had made was awesome.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:44 AM

I love to do paper pieced hexes.I cut my own pattern, while watching tv, from card stock.I use a paper punch to put a hole in the center of each paper piece. I then cut squares of fabric. Pin the fabric to the pattern through the hole. I trim the square when ready to sew.Fold and sew using 3 stitches at each corner running stitch between.I do not remove these stitches.Sounds like a lot of steps but really isn't.These are my ;to go projects;.I have a small fabric holder that fits in my purse with hexes, needle,thread and small scissors.
I have sewn larger hexes with the machine.Pattern was in a quilt mag last year. I plan to do a half hex small quilt soon.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fabric lover View Post
I would love to see this method, but it says: the video is not available. Do you have to be member of HGTV?
It may have something to do with which media reader you have installed on your computer. I don't think HGTV has memberships. Maybe someone who is more up on technology could help?