Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Brother's new scan and cut machine >

Brother's new scan and cut machine

Brother's new scan and cut machine

Old 10-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Default Brother's new scan and cut machine

Received this in the mail today....kinda cool. what do you all think. Watch the video on the quilting aspect of cutting shapes.... http://www.brother-usa.com/ScanNCut/...x#.UlAuQ1R6aro
Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 AM

I also got that email dose look cool.........but here lately between babylock and brother (I have one of each) I get so many emails of there new machines with all new technology it's hard to keep up and for me another learning curve
Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

...not sure about it.....first, I bet it is. Pricey.......and replacement blades.......rather keep my GO!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM

I didn't get the email but did buy the machine. I was at Florinai's event last month and preorded it at a great price. Still in the learning stages but so far I like what I see. You can have it draw the seam allowance on any fabric at any length. Last night I made some Halloween decorations using the colored notebook dividers, the pastic see thru ones; cost a dollar. Those designs are built in. I think they can do better in the out of the box training though. I went to the Sew n Vac here and had her to show me some things. They have two, one is cheaper by 100 than the other one. I can see it saving me lots of time once I get the learning part down pat, but learning is something I have to do with most things. If you look at what you pay for the Accuquilt and then the dies are extra its not that bad. I love my Accuquilt, especially the raq die. Just think about it, you can have the kids draw a picture, sign thier names and then scan it in and do an outline and then make it into a wallhanging for thier parents, etc. The possibilites are endless. Right now I'm working on having it to print and cut my 18" doll patterns.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

here's a recent discussion of it http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t231843.html
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
Received this in the mail today....kinda cool. what do you all think. Watch the video on the quilting aspect of cutting shapes.... http://www.brother-usa.com/ScanNCut/...x#.UlAuQ1R6aro
Oh, wow - - - I can only see things getting better with this invention. Pretty pricey - but look where technology is going! Fabulous!!

Marysewfun
Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
. Right now I'm working on having it to print and cut my 18" doll patterns.
I was thinking that, too - how that would help with doll patterns, I use my computer a lot for re-sizing stuff, and I love how it is so adjustable for size and to allow you to use scraps instead of a whole piece of fabric cut, and the movability of stuff - - I think this is a tremendous improvement and it can only get better!! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hmmmm interesting ..
Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
I was thinking that, too - how that would help with doll patterns, I use my computer a lot for re-sizing stuff, and I love how it is so adjustable for size and to allow you to use scraps instead of a whole piece of fabric cut, and the movability of stuff - - I think this is a tremendous improvement and it can only get better!! :-)

Marysewfun
Its easy to use scraps with this since you can scan you background in and place the objects where you want. You can also have it draw the seam allowance, my 18in takes 1/4 most of the time and you can resize alot on the machine. I can also think of things that I would like to see on it but I'm impressed with what it has. It comes with a 12 x 12 mat but you can also buy the 12 x 24 mat which would be great for pants etc. Since you can only do one piece of fabric at a time I took those that needed to be on a fold and just drew them out and taped them side by side and scanned them in as one whole. I think there is a way to do it on the machine; by reverse imaging them and the welding, which is a way to combine two items but only have the one outline, like two intersecting hearts but you only see the outside lines when cutting it out. Perfect size for little doll clothes. I only had the skirt that wouldn't fit (it goes on a fold) so I just layed it on paper and added a 1/4 in for seam allowance and then can sew two together. They will fit when I get the 24in. Like I said, its not going to replace my accucut, which I don't use much but it will give me another tool to make my busy life that is trying to have a creative side too alot less hectic and I'm sure I'll use it more than the accucut
Old 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM

I guess my questions are.....it draws the 1/4"sewing line......why,if one has a 1/4" foot on sewing machine that should be the guide....and what is the drawing ink....is it permanent or washable ....one piece of fab at a time seems like it is not a speedy process for piecing....so I guess it will be something an appliqué techniquer might welcome, but that too might be more time consuming......will wait and see. It will be interesting how the LQS will be pushing this product......