Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I did my own private quilt show…sort of >

I did my own private quilt show…sort of

Old 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM

Default I did my own private quilt show…sort of

On Saturday my DH and did a craft show to sell some of the things we have made. Sadly, we did not make much money but we had fun showing off my quilts and his wood turned pens.
I had a brain storm about doing this show because every year, I get a lot of questions about how these quilts are made, so I decided to do a demonstration right there in my booth. I packed up my little Juki and an extra table, pinned some smallish samples together and set up.
I’m afraid I caused a few traffic jams in the aisle! I answered lots of questions, and heard lots of comments from the folks. The most comment I heard most often was “I want a machine like that one that does all the work for you!” They were really shocked when they learned that my machine does nothing but a straight stitch and I was doing the ‘designing’ freehand. It was sew much fun but the best part is that I feel I educated a few people about what goes into making a quilt and how quilts can be decorative and artful or traditionally pieced and that it takes skill and practice to produce even a small quilt. Hopefully if they ever receive a quilt from anyone, they will have a little more appreciation for the time and effort that went into it.
The photos are of our set up and the last 4 pictures are the demonstration ‘quilts’ I did. I had the first 2 done earlier as examples and the other two I did there. I think I will make a few more and put them all together as a complete quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dscn2771a.jpg   dscn2769a.jpg   dscn2768ab.jpg   dscn2780a.jpg   dscn2779a.jpg  

dscn2786a.jpg   dscn2784a.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Your display looks wonderful! Too bad not many sales but I have found that also.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Looks like you have some beautiful quilts. I agree the display looks great.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

All your items are lovely. Maybe sales will be better next time!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

You do gorgeous work! Your display also looks wonderful. I am sorry you did not make much money but your work is definitely first class.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Lovely work - perhaps the encounters with people at your booth will materialize into sales in time. Great idea to do a demo!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Neat idea to show off your and hubby's creations! Great talent!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

All your quilts are beautiful.
My oldest Daughter and I found out many years ago. People don't buy much, looking mostly for ideas and try to figure out how something is made. If they think about buying something they want it close to free. They didn't seem to care about quality.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM

I hope you have some business cards to give out to folks. They are pretty cheap to make up yourself or even have printed. Put contact info on it because after the show is over people might decide they want something for a special gift or something. I had some made up when I retired with just some flowers on them and my contact info. Nice to pull one out when you are talking with someone you want to contact, or an old friend, or someone who has questions for you. I don't have a business, but I missed the cards I had when I was working, so it's good to have retirement cards, too.
I love your quilting and your display. Hang in there, and maybe the next show will pay off more. Maybe nearer to the holidays?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Your threadwork is really lovely! I'm sorry the sales didn't support that.

Jan in VA