Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 AM

Cathie, using exactly the same methods. Strip piecing and the June Taylor ruler. Can't believe how fast they are going.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 AM

I finished my clue four this morning.
http://quiltvillemysterykalamaquilts.blogspot.com/

re: consistent seams, if you ARE consistant, your seams will match across the quilt.
But your items will always be a different size than the pattern.
Where the problems arise? If you are making blocks for a group project. The last guild I belonged to finally started returning wrong sized blocks to the makers. I don't blame them.
Adding borders per the pattern, they won't fit right, so you have guess work combined with a tape measure

Looking forward to clue 5, Sharyn
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
There has been a discussion on the Facebook page about getting the 1/4 inch seam as perfect as possible as opposed to being consistent no matter what your seam allowance actually is turning out to be. I used to think that being consistent was OK but once you start with more than a couple of seams coming together and angles as opposed to straight seams you gotta deal with that 1/4 inch...I am hoping that with a bit of fudging on some of the units everything will go together OK...any comments???
Cathie, I have a foot I love but it results in a seam that's a little over 1/4" so I move my needle over a hair or two to the right if I'm doing a bunch of different shapes and I really want that 1/4". Personally, I like having my seams a little on the generous side so I've been known to cut things a little over, then square them up as I go.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGy0VRESRlw This video might be helpful to those who are using the Accuquilt strip die for the four patches. Finishing up my chevrons and pinwheels then on to the four patches! Hugs! Debbie
Old 12-22-2013, 05:35 AM

I had quite a few green pieces left from the chevrons so I'm using them for the 4 patches. It's slowing things down but taking care of a few scraps.
Sharyn...it looks like you have the leader/ender process down pat and with good results. My space is limited and I haven't quite figured out how it set it up so it's handy but not in the way but it's still a goal I have.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM

120 four patches finished yesterday!
I put everything in my Art Bin tote and it's looking pretty full. I think Bonnie says that it won't be long until we start putting together units into parts!
Yea!
Funny thing is how I can get sewing along and then randomly do an uh-oh block and have to reverse sew and re sew it back again. I think I spend more time doing one of those than 6 or 8 of the correct blocks. LOL
Here's my bin full of clues
Attached Thumbnails img_20131221_163437_025.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM

Looking good, Cathie.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Default My Celtic Soltice progress - finally somthing to show

I've been picking away at organizing my sewing room for a while now, always with sidetracks, but I've finally gotten some of each step done, and I know if I start posting here on the board, I'll be more likely to stay on top of this project, and maybe be more inclined to complete other projects, ya know, UFO's!
Attached Thumbnails chevrons1-sm.jpg   pyrmids-sm.jpg   pinwheel-sm.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 05:55 PM

Very nice, pjnesler!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM

I have been using scraps, some pre-cuts and other bits and pieces. So far, I have worked on each of the four clues posted each Monday. Since I am working with color families, my scraps seem to range from light to dark and every color in between.

These units finishing at three inches square are more detailed than what I have made in the past for a bed quilt. Actually, I am finding it delightful to combine the color families and am quilting outside of the box. Inspiration with instant gratification has me smiling.

What do you do when you are running out of a color family?

I find myself using every scrap available and then cutting the rest of the other colored pieces for the unit. Right now, I have worked on all four clues and haven't completed any section. With this decision I believe that I will have a better idea of what to purchase for fill-ins. If anyone has advice otherwise, please share! Many thanks...

I remain piecefully yours :-)