Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

I am still working on steps but this weekend finished step 2, 3 and 4. Still have a few of one to do but that is the outer borders so not worried about it. Have about 30 of step 5 units done. But it is all cut out. I laid out the units to see the blocks. I am not sure when I will get finished with the top. But after seeing everyone's beautiful color combinations I look forward to getting this one together. I have a retreat in May but don't want to wait that long to do it.

Darn, cannot get my pictures off the camera.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 AM

Well, I've been looking at the Monday morning link up and I realized I'm just going to have to sew and be happy. A few people seemed to have perfect points, but most didn't, yet they were beautiful. I want to finish this top. I've got a few others waiting to go on my long arm, but I'm determined to finish this top before I do those.

Still, it bothers me. I know there must be some magical clue as to how to make everything match up perfectly, but apparently, it will remain a mystery to me.

Take a look at the links. I especially loved the one with browns and light coral and blue.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 AM

SheriR: Just put one together that shows what I am talking about. If you notice, the corner where the orange square meets has a .25 inch white on the corner. When I sew the next row to it the green band will match perfectly. Oh well live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails 140106_0000.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]455052[/ATTACH]I still have to figure out what to use for the final border. I love this quilt!!! Not all of the corners are perfect but it gets better with every quilt I make. Each one is such a learning process. I've enjoyed being part of this group and seeing the beautiful creations that you've been working on. I particularly admire the brave souls that chose colors from your stash and how they are coming out. Maybe next year.
Attached Thumbnails dsc01506.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 AM

OH my GG, that's gorgeous! I admire your courage to start AND finish a quilt like this! I would never have the patience to make one with so many pieces!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
OH my GG, that's gorgeous! I admire your courage to start AND finish a quilt like this! I would never have the patience to make one with so many pieces!!!
Doing it in weekly steps helps. We had a week to complete each unit and with the variety of colors we used, it didn't seem too daunting. Of course the last week was the most fun when you saw how everything fitted together.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 AM

So pretty Tweety...love how all the colors stand out and there isn't one that is stronger than the other.

Kalama- good plan! I am in the middle of a baby quilt (ran out of the sashing fabric so I need to make a trip the LQS) but used the blogs as leaders/enders for the baby project.

GardenerGal- so pretty and I will be one who is going to loose a bunch of the points on the 54/40 star block. I stressed for a while and then I decided it is not worth causing myself angst about it all...next time I will do better.

Love the many quilts that Bonnie has posted so far with the many colors chosen by other quilters...so many have finished and I am envious LOL
Not really...I am OK with plugging along for now

Last edited by Cathieinut; 01-06-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

I'm working on my Chevron's - everyone's color combinations are wonderful.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Gardnergal - that is wonderful! I have four blocks sewn together - LOL - I plan to do several a day, with all the other stuff I'm working on!

I really don't worry too much about everything lining up, and yes, after doing several of her quilts, I am much better at being more accurate! I find that once the quilt is quilted no one but you will even notice what is not exactly correct. People see the quilt as a whole, and do not look at all the points and squares matching exactly. They would not even know to look for something like that. I think we are too critical with our own work sometimes! Just enjoy the process and beauty of what you do, time is too short to stress over it!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Jeanie: I so agree. I want to continue improving but I'm not going to let the imperfections spoil it for me.