Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
BIG CAT caught on camera in Scotland >

BIG CAT caught on camera in Scotland

BIG CAT caught on camera in Scotland

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 AM

Now, I know in the US, big cats are 'normal' in some parts...bobcats, mountain lions, pumas etc. But in the UK they are not native.

There is always rumours, sighting etc of large cats, the stories go back decades, especially 'The Beast of Bodmin Moor'. But in the past few months there seems to have been a few sightings in Scotland, reports of a horse with injuries consistent with an attack by a large cat etc.

Here's some video that has been caught recently. To the right of the video is some links for the other recent stories if you want to read further.

At work we having been watching and re-watching this video all day - debating is it really a 'big' cat? I thought it was maybe just a large domestic tom cat, but looking at the way its ears are flat against it's head, it does look like a black panther. What do you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8172064.stm
Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Giant-ism? Some people are larger than others. So surely cats can be larger? Now HE would surely take his share of the bed!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 AM

The size is off compared to the track....and only house cats hold their tail like that and the walk is wrong....goggle party cat to see some big ones
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Definitely a house cat. It is way too small to be a panther. Also, a wild cat would not be out in the open like that, walking down the tracks. A wild cat would be in the trees.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Wild cats WILL go out and walk around IF they feel unthreatened. But, to be out and about like that, that's just odd.
I'm thinking it's someone's domestic cat or then again, it COULD be a wild one, one that is just not afraid of anything.
Ya just never know!
I have a TON of wild cats around here. They come out at all hours of the day/night. Mostly at night tho. Some walk with their tails up, some with their tails down....guess it all depends. Any loud noise usually scares them away
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM

I'm with you Pretty it's a BIG CAT lately we've had black bear sightings and one is trying to go to college at KENT STATE>
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

If that's a house cat it is huge. I would hate to buy cat food for him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator

it could also be a former "exotic pet" that either escaped or was abandoned when its owner got bored with it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
it could also be a former "exotic pet" that either escaped or was abandoned when its owner got bored with it.
Yeah, thats the general theory about these sightings. In the 70's you could buy exotic pets in Harrods, London, and other places, until they made it illegal to keep them some time ago, they reckon people let them go rather than see their pet put in a zoo.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 AM

I've got it, it's a dog lol. It doesnt walk dainty and sleek like a cat, it walks really clumsy. But the real give away, is it went pee in the bushes lol, and then just walked away, a cat would dig the dirt after going lol :) What do ya think? lol