Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting suggestions for Yellow Brick Road >

Quilting suggestions for Yellow Brick Road

Quilting suggestions for Yellow Brick Road

Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Quilting suggestions for Yellow Brick Road

I just finished piecing a Yellow Brick Road top (sans border) and am trying to decide what to do about quilting it. I am super new at this, so reply as though you are talking to a total newb. This is only my third quilt. The first was SITD, the second I did a mediocre job at FMQ meandering stipple. I am not super attached to this quilt, so I am willing to be somewhat adventurous. I just bought a kit plus some extra fat quarters (to turn it into a twin size) in order to gain more quilting experience before moving on to quilts that I am more excited about.

Here is a poor photo... snapped at night with my phone, so the lighting is awful and the colors aren't quite right.

Thanks!! And if you have made this one, I would love to see photos of your quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444344[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend using a walking foot and making gentle curves all the way across. Start in the middle of one side and go all the way to the other side. Basically they are "waves" going across the quilt (or up and down, if you prefer). This is a very easy, forgiving, and modern method of quilting. Your quilt top looks quite modern already, so using modern meandering lines across it would be a good match in that respect. Plus, with a geometric quilt, it is nice to introduce some curving lines in the quilting. The lines do not have to be perfectly matched (in fact, they should not be).

Here's an example:
http://www.quiltmag.com/products/thi...an-meandering/
It's the wavy lines, although I would be more casual about them (more variations).
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 PM

I can't help you with your quilting question as I haven't gotten brave enough to try to quilt one myself. However, I did want to tell you that I love your quilt and the colors in your fabric selection. It will be beautiful any way you quilt it.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 AM

After a rag quilt, this was my first pattern. I tied mine. I did not have the courage to machine quilt. Having machine quilted a few I agree with a previous poster that a meander would be good but forgiving, also.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I would SITD in a large grid pattern to break the top into squares. I would then try FMQ patterns inside the squares that I had been wanting to try. If you are not confident to do them freehand, I would use the golden thread paper to copy some designs and pin them to the squares. You can also use the air or water erasable quilt pens to mark a design.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Your selection of fat quarters was a job well done. I like the textures that you chose. Have you thought of just doing straight stitching called cross hatching? I use painter tapes to mark the diagonal lines. You might want to Google quilting stencils and see if there is anything you want to try. I can't wait to see what you create when you work on "quilts that I am more excited about".
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 AM

I really like the idea of doing the 'waves' on the quilt. It sounds easy to do and very rewarding as well as good looking!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Love your quilt! Love the 'YELLOW BRICK ROAD". I agree with Prism99's idea.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link. Other links connected to it. and have saved all to favorites.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would recommend using a walking foot and making gentle curves all the way across. Start in the middle of one side and go all the way to the other side. Basically they are "waves" going across the quilt (or up and down, if you prefer). This is a very easy, forgiving, and modern method of quilting. Your quilt top looks quite modern already, so using modern meandering lines across it would be a good match in that respect. Plus, with a geometric quilt, it is nice to introduce some curving lines in the quilting. The lines do not have to be perfectly matched (in fact, they should not be).

Here's an example:
http://www.quiltmag.com/products/thi...an-meandering/
It's the wavy lines, although I would be more casual about them (more variations).
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I would just do a large stipple, FMQ- or meandering. I don't like SITD. I only do straight stitching, about 1/4" from the seam line on even sized squares or I stitch through them on diagonal.

BTW your top is very pretty. Your quilt your way.