Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Table Runner Batting Recommendations >

Table Runner Batting Recommendations

Table Runner Batting Recommendations

Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Table Runner Batting Recommendations

Novice quilter here with a question about batting. I have multiple types of projects in the works for Christmas: table runners, wall hanging for baby's room, baby's floor quilt (match-the-squares play thing) and probably some coasters. Getting ready to order from Amazon but not sure what's best . I've read it some prefer thin batting for the runners so that things set on them won't tip. I've also read people use flannel. Others use the same thing for everything--Warm White , for example. I'd love some guidance before making my purchase. Thanks. Reasons for and against using the same batting for all projects would be my main question.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM

I use the same batting a for my quilts and table runners.

I just got a whole roll at Joann's. It's soft and something I don't remember but it works great for my table runners.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I have always use Hobbs 80/20 batting for my quilts so I use that for my table runners. I usually look thru my leftovers and use them by piecing them together using fusible lightweight Pellon interfacing!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM

It depends on the use of the project. For a simple table runner, I might use only one or two layers of flannel. For mug rugs I often use something heavier, usually a cotton batting, that will better protect table from hot beverages. I often grab a mug rug for use as a pot holder, so I want it to be thick and heavy enough to protect my fingers. For wall hangings, it depends upon the effect I want to achieve .... from flat to puffy. I buy much of my batting for small projects at thrift stores, garage sales, or people cleaning out sewing supplies.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM

I like to use Warm an Natural or Warm and white for a few reasons. The first is I preshrink for all runners and W&N , W & W is a dream to preshrink. Both have a consistant thickness which is preferable for runners. The batting is thick enough so seams will not have the bumps , and bowls , glasses will not tip easily, but thin enough to quilt easily. This batting is also durable for quilts. The distance recommended between quilting allows for one of the largest , so I have a greater choice when I decide on quilting designs.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM

I have only done one place-mat table-runner project and I used Joann's iron-on batting, which is thin and flat. I didn't want something puffy in case someone put a glass or a vase on it and it tipped over.

It actually got quite flat and stiff, like cardboard, until washed. But being ironed-on made it easy to quilt!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 AM

I am not very experienced as some of the others, but I have used felt as my batting. It's thin, but not too thin so I still get the quilted look and I have not had any problems with washing either. I'm going for the quilted look, but without the traditional thickness.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 AM

I use whatever I have left from making larger quilts since I usually end up with a really long skinny piece of batting. But, I did use Insulbright left from making potholders so one of them acts like a large hotpad for my kitchen island. It sure is nice with hot pizzas and casseroles.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I just got back from my LQS and had asked that same question. They recommended Thermore. I happened to have some at home, so I was all set. It is very thin.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:52 PM

I have used Thermore also and really like it, it is very light in weight.