Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh >

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh

Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Go to Sally’s, they have soft squeeze bottles with a small tips for applying hair color.
And the bottles are marked in ozs.

Last edited by Phyllis nm; 11-11-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add on
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 PM

I use 505 spray and never had any wrinkles when quilting it. I have not used glue for basting but always use it to bind.
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I wondered about the fabric wrinkling...especially after seeing a demo of the canned spray do the same thing. So do the wrinkles go away with the quilting process or in the wash after it's done? Just wondering. Maybe I should try it on a small potholder or something.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5moose View Post
I've never used this method but if I understand it......I thought you were supposed to use a GLUE STICK. The school glue stick. Maybe I'm wrong but it might make a difference.
No, it is not the stick, but the liquid washable Elmers School Glue that needs to be used. I just finished using this method on a quilt and it's downstairs drying now. Should be ready to start quitling tomorrow. I had to go to Target to get more glue since I ran out and I noticed that the new bottles squeeze out the glue much better.

This is the third time using this method and I do like it.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Because quilt basting spray is smelly and expensive.
Ditto! I agree, but I do have a can of spray baste but don't like the smell.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM

I wouldn't advise anyone to use a paintbrush unless you just do it in grid form or waves.
I "painted" a wall-hanging with Elmer's school glue once and it was as stiff as can be
and very difficult to quilt. Imagine if that was a large quilt.
Draw lines or waves but don't paint all over.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM

I just got a pm from someone saying that the link I posted about the spray glue recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html) didn't work, so here is the recipe for anyone that needs it.

1.) Combine equal parts glue and water in the spray bottle. Shake until they are completely combined.

2.)
Add 2-5 drops of dish soap to the glue mixture.

3.)
Swirl the mixture gently with the tube from the the head of the bottle until the dish soap has been thoroughly mixed in.

Tips and Tricks:
Remove the sprayer from the spray bottle after each use and flush it out with warm water. Cover the bottle with plastic wrap and a rubber band to keep the glue from drying out. This will ensure that the nozzle does not get clogged.
If you find that the nozzle gets clogged while you are using the glue spray, add a few more drops of dish soap.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
I just got a pm from someone saying that the link I posted about the spray glue recipe (http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html) didn't work, so here is the recipe for anyone that needs it.

1.) Combine equal parts glue and water in the spray bottle. Shake until they are completely combined.

2.)
Add 2-5 drops of dish soap to the glue mixture.

3.)
Swirl the mixture gently with the tube from the the head of the bottle until the dish soap has been thoroughly mixed in.

Tips and Tricks:
Remove the sprayer from the spray bottle after each use and flush it out with warm water. Cover the bottle with plastic wrap and a rubber band to keep the glue from drying out. This will ensure that the nozzle does not get clogged.
If you find that the nozzle gets clogged while you are using the glue spray, add a few more drops of dish soap.
What is the purpose of the dish soap?? Does the mixture mold if diluted?? I don't get it.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the link, I use elmers glue a lot and this seems like it would work great. In regards to the glue stick,I use that only for attaching my bindings not basting quilt tops but I don't know why it would not work for both.

Originally Posted by SemiSweet View Post
I always dilute it to half water and half glue, that helps a ton. Make sure it's hot/warm water so it will easily mix. I've never had it wet still after letting it set out for an after noon and over night. If it does happen to still be wet though, you can run your iron over it to dry it a bit.

Next time I glue baste, I'm going to go a step further and try this method:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6598712_make...lue-spray.html
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 AM

I use Elmers Washable School Glue all the time for basting. I will try the the diluting and spray bottle method for the next quilt in waiting. Sounds sooo much easier than laying my bottle on it's side to keep the glue flowing and squeezing. Next shopping trip will be to find that small spray bottle.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 AM

I use an adjustable wrench to squeeze my glue bottles! Overkill, maybe, but really saves the hands. I baste on the floor - I stand over the quilt and drizzle full-strength glue right out of the bottle, it's a super fine line by the time it hits the batting. Bonus of using the wrench is it gives me a little more reach too, so I can easily scatter glue in the middle of the quilt without having to walk on it too much. (I do have to walk on it a little bit if it's a queen or larger though - I just make sure to start gluing in the middle and step very carefully in sock feet so as not to shift layers around.)