Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where Were You November 22, 1963? >

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Where Were You November 22, 1963?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 AM

I was sitting in the band room, our first chairs were rehearsing for a league "all star" cancert. The teacher in charge was a "joker", made the announcement, and I thought; "..what is the punch line, that isn't even funny"..sadly it was true. It hit me really hard as Kennedy's campaign was the first one I followed with a lot of interest. I had lost my Dad just 3 years previous and the loss felt personal. Jackie brought a lot of class to the white house.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 AM

I was a mother with 2 small children. I was in my living room, ironing and watching 'As the World Turns' a soap-opera. The news caster broke in with a newsflash about Kennedy. I was devastated.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

I was a junior in high school in Waynesburg Pa. I was in a study hall when the PA system came on and the principal made the announcement. The teacher started to cry. All I remember feeling was shock and sadness....
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 AM

I was at work. My Mother called to tell me about it. We went to our cars and listened on our radios. (We had no radios in the building. After we found out it was true, we were sent home and did not return to work until after the funeral. This was a very busy time for us as I worked at the TB Association. Do any of you remember the Christmas Seals? I do not think I left the TV the whole time. I worked hard to get him elected and felt a very close relationship with him. Almost got to shake his hand when he came to Louisville. Got within about 2 feet of him. He was also the first vote I cast.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:01 AM

I had just graduated from nursing school and worked as a nurse in a city emergency room from 4-12. My mother worked at the hospital but day shift. I took the bus to the hospital and walked into the lobby that was right in front of my mother's office. All the resident doctors were in the lobby crying. I walked into my mother's office and asked what was going on. She told me that the president had been killed. I started to cry; could not believe this was true. I worked the emergency room that evening and for a rarity in a city hospital we saw only one patient. The patient was a stock broker who got drunk after hearing the news.

My parents and I stayed glued to the TV until all the events were over. Saw when Oswald was killed. Saw the riderless horseman and Jackie and the kids walking behind.

Loss of a great leader and we can only dream of what changes he could have made.

Cannot believe it has been 50 years. It still feels like it just happened. I don't think I will ever forget this event.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 AM

I was in the hospital having back surgery, (ruptured disc) when I woke up they told me the president was dead.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:40 AM

I was in9th grade, Jr. High, in leadership class ( student council)when the principal made the announcement. I was on the team that raised and lowered the flag very day. It was heart wrenching to have to go out to the front of the school and lower the flag to half-staff. As I recall, we were out of school until after the funeral. So sad.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM

I was teaching 5th grade at the time. My students returned from lunch (they went home for lunch) and told me the president had been shot and I didn't believe them until a fellow teacher said it it had happened.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I remember being in school and our teacher made the announcement. We had a time of silence to think about the country's lose then it was back to school work. I remember my teacher being very sad. At home it wasn't discussed that much. I do remember seeing Oswald being shot on tv as it happened and seeing Bobby Kennedy being shot as it happened on tv.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM

I was getting ready for my wedding that was on Nov 30th ,1963. My Mother and I were at the dress store picking up my wedding gown. We sat on the couch and watched this with all the other girls in the store.