My weekend find 1924-128.....

Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Default My weekend find 1924-128.....

Now that I have this little beauty (G0906859) and have identified it I was wondering as there were treadles, hand cranks, electrics, and converted electrics - is there any real way to determine the original state of my machine? I've done some surface research but and not that overly familiar with these machines. Any suggestions or tell tale signs I should look for?
Attached Thumbnails 1924-128.jpg   1924-128_b.jpg   1924-128_d.jpg   1924-128_e.jpg   1924-128_f.jpg  

Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM

I would say that originally it was a hand crank that has been electrified. There wasn’t much use of electricity in 1924, the rear inspection plate has been replaced with a light-mount plate, and it has a spoke wheel. Just my guess.

Nice machine.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Nice machine.

Don't break those Chicago Plugs, you'll have one heck of time replacing them.\

Joe
Old 11-22-2013, 08:38 AM

That's a pretty machine! My knee jerk reaction was "those plugs would scare the beejeebers outta me". Now I'm curious. Would someone please educate me on 'Chicago Plugs'? I've Googled them but didn't find anything. TIA for any help.

Jan
Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 AM

Fascinating. Is there a way to trace the lineage/vintage of the motor itself?

My Vinnie is just like that, plugs and all, foot pedal, motor; except the back access plate is silvery, not black. I have another machine same era, which is knee-operated, original. Perhaps a more valid question is; when machines were electric then, did they tend to be foot pedal or knee? Was there an overwhelming majority of styles? Does this help to support whether the foot pedal was original or an afterthought?

And if it was originally a handcrank... oh, where oh where can we find that wonderful old original crank? ;-)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Fascinating. Is there a way to trace the lineage/vintage of the motor itself?

My Vinnie is just like that, plugs and all, foot pedal, motor; except the back access plate is silvery, not black. I have another machine same era, which is knee-operated, original. Perhaps a more valid question is; when machines were electric then, did they tend to be foot pedal or knee? Was there an overwhelming majority of styles? Does this help to support whether the foot pedal was original or an afterthought?

And if it was originally a handcrank... oh, where oh where can we find that wonderful old original crank? ;-)
I know right? All the same questions have been running through my mind too! I am seriously thinking about converting this girl back to a hand crank. I have not seen any "original" singer parts, but have seen some remakes that are coming out of China. I found some videos of how to convert back but would really like to have original singer parts.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

I was fortunate to find a hand crank mechanism for sale a few weeks ago; actually, someone on this board alerted me to a CL posting. I will have to look that up and thank them... I am using that original hand crank on the Vinnie that I am doing.

I did find a site somewhere online in the UK, where she sells old crank mechanisms as well. They are not cheap, but if your machine cost a song, then you could justify it ;-) Plus, deduct $25 from your guilt for the fact that you will not have to buy a new belt or new wiring or a new light bulb, as you will not be refurbishing the electrics. ;-)

Should we be putting candle holders on our hand crank machines, instead of Singer Lamps?

;-)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
....Don't break those Chicago Plugs, you'll have one heck of time replacing them. Joe
Originally Posted by jpete523 View Post
... Would someone please educate me on 'Chicago Plugs'? Jan
Actually, those are probably “Singer Inline Connectors”. They’re single pin. The Chicago, National, and Manhattan plugs are 2-pin connectors.

This type of Singer connector is made up of a #190659 Female connector & a #190658 Male connector to make an inline connection. They were used sparingly on some portable cases and cabinets where a circuit disconnect was needed.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails two_pin_cons02.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM

It needs a bobbin winder tire, pretty machine.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Now that I have this little beauty (G0906859) and have identified it I was wondering as there were treadles, hand cranks, electrics, and converted electrics - is there any real way to determine the original state of my machine? I've done some surface research but and not that overly familiar with these machines. Any suggestions or tell tale signs I should look for?
@Gretchen - you got the plugs that i am looking for (chicago/manhattan plugs). are you by any chance selling that plugs (the 2 round longish black plastic attached to the cords). if ever or if you don't need or not using it, will you be willing to sell it to me ?

thanks,
Attached Thumbnails 1924-128_f.jpg