Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any ideas for quilter gifts? >

any ideas for quilter gifts?

any ideas for quilter gifts?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 AM

Smile any ideas for quilter gifts?

I am chair of our employee quilt show each year, and next year is our 5th anniversary. I am trying to make it special and thought of giving small gifts to the quilters. It would have to be really cheap as there is no budget for that sort of thing. But, I thought it would add to the fun.

So, maybe a small gift for those who participate in the show (we generally have less than 20 quilters enter). I would need to get this locally as I won't know until 2 weeks before Show how many will enter. I am budgeting only aout $1 for this.

A gift for those who have participated all 5 years (we only have 2 that have been in all 4 so far). I could order this ahead of time since there are so few. This could maybe be $5-$10 each.

A gift for the quilter who entered the most quilts (we have a 3 quilt limit each show, and only one quilter has entered every year & has done 3 more than the other quilter who also entered all 4 years). This also could be ordered early. This also only about $5-$10.

I really don't have time to make anything, as I have so many other duties to perform for the show, and I would like to get a quilt or two ready to enter!

So, what kind of great (but cheap) ideas can you all come up with???? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM

I saw once an idea for a small jar of cotton seeds, to grow your own fabric. Obviously not practical, but I always thought that sounded cute!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 AM

What is the name of your guild? We are the Quail Country Quilters and one year we each received a Quail ornament. I remember she ordered them and they were $1.00 each.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Quilted book marks were made by the guild I belong to, they were like crazy patch/scraps and no cost at all, just time
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 AM

It may take some work and hopefully you have others on the committee that can chip in. How about a quilt label. You can design a simple one with your show name, anniversary etc and have them printed on fabric. Or you can make bookmarks too if you have a design and logo for it.

For the more expensive gifts you can do a gift card to a quilt shop, maybe they would donate some?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:06 AM

how about some of the retractable tape measures, I always keep one in each sewing room and one in my purse.

The dollar store near where my mom lives had some little plastic cases with nail files in them, was a great thing to carry in purse, just in case.

Also they might have the little scissors, tiny ones for clipping threads.

For the bigger $$ items, I would say either fat quarters or perhaps a tote/purse pattern. It is different and everyone loves totes. Great use for scraps.

One of my friends, I am making her a tote bag and putting a different tote/purse pattern in it with fabric and supplies to make the pattern as a christmas present.

Is there a craft fair near you in the next week or two? if so, you might go there and get some hand crafted items. You would then be helping out someone as well as yourself I love two for one things.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:12 AM

If you had an embroidery machine or someone close to you does, a quick embroidered set of embroidered dish towels would be nice.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I'm really interested in this as an "employee quilt show".
How is it operated? Where does it happen? How long are the quilts on display?
What sort of a company is so fortunate to have so many quilters?
(perhaps this is an LQS, or a company in a related business?)

Being this is the 5th year ...
it would seem to me that the awards should come from the corporate budget.
And certainly for more than a dollar! (or $5-10 for the larger ones)

You know that our quilts are costly enough, just for the materials, before we spend our time making them. Let alone quilting costs, whether it be self-done or by someone else. If it were me, and you were awarding a prize of $1 value, I would see no "value" ... and figure you might as well have saved the money.

Sorry if you feel this is harsh, but in all honesty, it's reality.

I'm not saying they need to be mega-dollars, but gosh ... a dollar is next thing to an insult IMHO.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM

How about a ribbon just for entering. Participant ribbon.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'm really interested in this as an "employee quilt show".
How is it operated? Where does it happen? How long are the quilts on display?
What sort of a company is so fortunate to have so many quilters?
(perhaps this is an LQS, or a company in a related business?)

Being this is the 5th year ...
it would seem to me that the awards should come from the corporate budget.
And certainly for more than a dollar! (or $5-10 for the larger ones)

You know that our quilts are costly enough, just for the materials, before we spend our time making them. Let alone quilting costs, whether it be self-done or by someone else. If it were me, and you were awarding a prize of $1 value, I would see no "value" ... and figure you might as well have saved the money.

Sorry if you feel this is harsh, but in all honesty, it's reality.

I'm not saying they need to be mega-dollars, but gosh ... a dollar is next thing to an insult IMHO.
Most companies will allow groups to meet there at their work. There was a knitting group that met at my company (defense contractors) and they made hats for charity. So they may not have a budget per se for prizes, their contribution may be just the facilities.

I thought the OP was looking for participation gifts not prizes. If they were prizes, then I would would agree with you. But as a participation......more just a little hug like thing, nothing big or expensive, just a touch of something. Then I see keeping the $$ down.