Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD? >

Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD?

Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD?

I know the ultimate decision is up to me but would this bother, detract in your eyes? I decided not to make this quilt square and like the border shape you see in the bottom left corner of the picture which is the only edge I have actually "finished". Because I picked such a pattern for the joining of the pieces there is not way I can make the wicker- look pattern match around the edges. If I had know where I was going with this I might have picked something less distinct for the edges. If this was your project would finishing it this way bother you? ( I only have 10000 hours in to it so far and want to do the right thing whatever that is ). Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails img_1719.jpg   img_1717.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

Going to be gorgeous! You want to leave the quilt edges kind of like a squared scalloped edge? Pretty neat edge and will probably be easier to put a binding on than a traditional scalloped edge since the corners will be at 45 degrees. The wicker fabric looks fine to me as in the picture, it reads like polka dots. If I have completely misunderstood your question, never mind.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

actually, i looked at the pic before reading the post and couldn't figure out what the problem might be. so... no, the mismatched wicker did not bother me. jmho
Old 11-29-2013, 10:01 AM

In my game plan, there is no border. I saw a website that suggests paper piecing to frame the same shape as the very outer edges. sewing it to the front then flipping it to back after quilting so that the back will have that same edge and contrast with the backing fabric.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM

I think your issue is that you are looking upclose and personal at each piece. The finished project won't be looked at that closely to see any minor imperfection you think you are seeing. The finished project will be looked at as a whole not as individual pieces. Beautiful work!!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:05 AM

It took me a couple of seconds to figure out what you were talking about, but now that I've taken a good look, I think it's fine. I don't know what that pattern is, but it's very pretty. I do like the fact that you kept the wicker straight throughout the top..... it would drive me insane if the pattern wasn't matched, up, down and across because I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to things like that not matching. In my opinion, you're doing a fabulous job. I sure wouldn't sweat that corner.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM

It's beyond beautiful. It will be terrific anyway you finish. I'd probably go with the sew & turn method on this one. Sew the cut backing & batting to the front of the quilt, leave an opening and then turn it right side out. Don't know how large this is but it would work and you'd keep the nice edge you have in that bottom left corner. Love your choices of fabric too.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Thank you all for your replies. This is a version of poc.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 AM

That's beautiful! No, it would not bother me to have the corner angles in the caning print. Looking thru the photo, my eye even's out the differences and it appears that the white "dots" work together well.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

My eye doesn't pick up anything wrong. This is going to be gorgeous.