Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler >

Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler

Just bought June Taylor Shape Cut ruler

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Now I want to get one!! What size would you recommend if a person was only going to buy one?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM

I was one of those worried by the lack of rigidity of June Tailor rulers after seeing how flexible the Binding Buddy was after I bought it online. Despite my misgivings, I bought a Shape Cut Plus and like it so much I've lashed out and bought a Shape Cut Pro and a Diamond Cut (known as the Girl's Best Friend lol).

In Australia they are very expensive. Those three rulers cost me nearly AU$260 (with postage) and they were worth every penny of it(although I wouldn't have said no to lower prices!).
Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
Now I want to get one!! What size would you recommend if a person was only going to buy one?
I like the Shape Cut Plus (12 x 18) overall:

http://www.junetailor.com/shapecutplusvideo.htm
Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
.... I did buy a 28mm rotary cutter and hope that makes it easier for me to cut. ...
I bought a 28mm rotary cutter the other day thinking it might be easier to use than the 45mm and 60mm. However, I found I can't get enough pressure into the slots with the small one and it's not cutting right through the fabric layers. I've gone back to the 45mm.

After the first week or so of using the Shape Cut, all I can say is that it's brilliant. It is a bit flimsy and can move around but I'm hoping with practice I will get better. I can't believe how fast I cut a big pile of 2 1/2 strips and 2 1/2 squares for my current quilt and all of them exactly the right size.

In the first dozen or so cuts, I did chip the plastic in one of the pears which bugged me a bit but it's only happened the once. I was cutting again today without doing it again.

Well worth the money at this point.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 AM

It's my fave. Wouldn't be without it. To beaglelady if your getting only one get 12x18. The larger one may be unwieldy and you can always get it later. Wait til joann Kashmir it 50 off or use a coupon. Walmart has it online- you can have it sent to the store free. Have fun.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
.... To beaglelady if your getting only one get 12x18. The larger one may be unwieldy ...
It really is BIG. I have all three sizes now and I agree the 12x18 will be the one I use all the time.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Have had all of mine for years. I use a dry erase marker to put a straight line below the bottom teardrop so I dont mis-cut a strip. When done just use a tissue to wipe off the mark. Makes the process faster without counting where I should cut next. It happens!