Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange? >

Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange?

Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Any good ideas for a CLEAN funny gag gift for family gift exchange?

This will be our first Christmas without Mom since she passed in June, I thought at our Christmas party it would be fun to do funny gag gifts or white elephant gifts to have some fun. Anyone have a clever, funny idea for me?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:32 AM

What about the shaped soaps, the ones like Oreos or sushi? https://www.etsy.com/shop/AubreyEApo...on_id=10422469 has a bunch, and I've always had good luck with her items. They are hilarious to little boys (age and mentally), and hey, they are clean
Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I used to make my son for st pat's day soap with money in it. it could be fun to make it too.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

i often got my older brother with a lump of coal. [real gift stashed for after the gag]
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM

You could always wrap up a box of trash bags...hint...help clean up after the party? Or wrap up an apron. The recipient helps clean the kitchen/helps with the dishes. (Do you have one that was your Mom's? This will also make it a personal, special, not so "gag" gift and can be passed around year after year.)

How about buying children's books for each family member based on their likes or hobbies? A baseball story for the brother, etc., who is wild about the game? Ballerina book for the dance lover, etc. After the party, these books can be donated to Toys for Tots or another organization for needy kids. (Games and toys work as well).

Sounds like a fun party. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Mom. Holidays are never easy, especially the first year after the loss, but you are definitely on the right track. Enjoy!

Anita
Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 PM

If you online shop, a flying screaming monkey is always a hit at parties. They are on Amazon.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM

I like gag gifts, which actually have a purpose of some sort, rather than a total waste of money.

Crazy socks or hat
Child's theme blanket
Anything really gaudy but still usable - serving dish, umbrella, etc.
Fruitcake (among most of my friends, this is a gag gift)
Anything that can be re-gifted to a child
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Ugly Christmas sweater... Setting a price limit or saying it must come from your house or some other ridiculous rule might make it more challenging or fun...
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM

one year when we had very little money we bought gag gifts for everyone. Mysister had just had her first child and thought Dr Spock was all it we happened upon someone selling a set of child raising books at 10 cents a book so we bought all 12 books for her and her spouse we got my FIL abox of plastic aprons he was newly retired and took over all the cooking. My momwasatailor but couldn't sew anything else so she got a book about sewing.those are the ones I remember the most It was a fun Christmas even without much money
Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 AM

How about a "junk drawer starter kit". I took a mayo jar and filled it with stuff my junk drawer - twist tie, thumb tacks, clothes pin, penny, book of matches, etc. There was a poem attached, but I can't remember it now.
Got one of those twisty phone cords - voila - a phoneless cord.
At a family reunion, I told everyone that the company I was working for had big profits that year and shared them with the employees, so I was going to share them with my family. I gave all the guys diamond tie tacks (I glued a dime to a thumb tack), and gave all the women diamond pins (glued a dime on a safety pin).