Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected perk to buying a whole bolt of batting >

Unexpected perk to buying a whole bolt of batting

Unexpected perk to buying a whole bolt of batting

Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM
RST

Another thing I'm doing, being new to bolt of batting ownership -- I'm writing on the cardboard roll a brief notation of the quilt, the length cut, and the date -- I think it will be interesting documentation to help me evaluate and justify buying bolts. I've never minded having excess to use up in potholders, bags, and assorted other small projects, but it will be nice to have less waste -- and all the scraps will be the same weight and texture, so that's a plus too.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Yes, I have bought batting by the bolt for a couple of decades now. Helpful hint for those packaged batting. Lightly mist the batting then place in an air fluff cycle, no HEAT. You will find that it removes the crinkles quite nicely.
I just tried this with a piece of batting that was giving me fits - THANK YOU! It worked wonderfully!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Rolls of batting are great. Only problem I've found is where to stash it when not in use as they are huge. I finally came up with the idea to hang it on the ceiling over my cutting table. As my sewing room is in the basement and the rafters are open this was not a problem. I picked up a 2 inch diameter dowel, screwed in an eye bolt on each end, another extra long eye bolt on each end on the rafter above and connected the dowel eye bolt with a clip so easily disengaged when I need to add a new bolt. Can't think what the clip is called but you can get them at most any hardware store. They're all metal and you can open it by pushing the side in and it springs back closed.

Anyway, when I need to cut some off, I know my cutting table is 6 feet long so I pull the batting to the opposite end and pull till I have enough and then use the edge of the cutting table as my cutting line.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Rolls of batting are great. Only problem I've found is where to stash it when not in use as they are huge. I finally came up with the idea to hang it on the ceiling over my cutting table. As my sewing room is in the basement and the rafters are open this was not a problem. I picked up a 2 inch diameter dowel, screwed in an eye bolt on each end, another extra long eye bolt on each end on the rafter above and connected the dowel eye bolt with a clip so easily disengaged when I need to add a new bolt. Can't think what the clip is called but you can get them at most any hardware store. They're all metal and you can open it by pushing the side in and it springs back closed.

Would that be a carabiner ? http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lips&FORM=IGRE
Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Welcome to the club! I love buying batting by the roll at JoAnn's. I usually do it on black Friday. It's so nice to have plenty on hand when needed.

I do not like it when friends say to me after my score "Boy, I'll have to start coming to you for my batting in the future." I think "No, you can go to JoAnn's, like I did."
Old 12-13-2013, 09:53 PM

Smile buying hobbs 80/20 batting

Originally Posted by IraJane View Post
How much does a full roll of batting cost? Hobbs 80/20 or Warm and Natural.
On the Joann website, it is listed at $449 for 90 yds. I buy it with a 50% off coupon.[/QUOTE]----------

If you look on the Ebay site online, you will find that Hobbs 80/20 is selling at $159.00 for 96"x30yds. Our guild uses a lot of batting for charity quilts and we use the Hobbs poly-down which we found at the Southeast Sewing Center in Atlanta, GA. They sell the 120"x30yds for $112 and Hobbs poly-down 108"x30yds for $99.95 if you come pick it up. Not sure how much if they ship but obviously less than some of the others. (404-522-3404) Hope this helps someone else as we have been looking everywhere to find this one. (Cherokeequilter)
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 PM

If you look on the Ebay site online, you will find that Hobbs 80/20 is selling at $159.00 for 96"x30yds. Our guild uses a lot of batting for charity quilts and we use the Hobbs poly-down which we found at the Southeast Sewing Center in Atlanta, GA. They sell the 120"x30yds for $112 and Hobbs poly-down 108"x30yds for $99.95 if you come pick it up. Not sure how much if they ship but obviously less than some of the others. (404-522-3404) Hope this helps someone else as we have been looking everywhere to find this one. (Cherokeequilter)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
Welcome to the club! I love buying batting by the roll at JoAnn's. I usually do it on black Friday. It's so nice to have plenty on hand when needed.

I do not like it when friends say to me after my score "Boy, I'll have to start coming to you for my batting in the future." I think "No, you can go to JoAnn's, like I did."
Sell it to them at regular price, and you'll get your next roll free! If they're still willing to get it from you, that is....
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 AM

I buy only bolts for the same reason. You know you'll need more later on, anyway.