Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

I talked to my LQS owner yesterday about a fabric line coming in and I told her that on the QB there are quite a few women who buy whole bolts of fabric. She didn't know either. I have never bought a bolt. I like a fabric for one quilt and then I'm done with it. Don't want to use it again. But, if it's like Kona white or a nice black, I would buy a bolt, but never for anything else. So, why buy bolts of fabric? Making the same quilt for all your kids or grandkids?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I guess because you really love the fabric! I agree, the only ones I have considered buying a bolt is muslin. Have not done it yet though.
    Lisa

I used to buy whole bolts but I was getting them wholesale. Used them for backings/binding/borders to go with my scrappy quilts.

My favorite fabric line is Kansas Troubles. I always buy a whole bolt of wide fabric so I always have it on hand for my quilt backings. Plus, buying the whole bolt insures that I won't have to pay a higher price per yard when fabric prices increase. Just a personal preference for me.
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

I bought a whole bolt when I started making a quilt for my bedroom. I wanted to make matching pillows and valances, etc. and was unsure of how much I would need. I really liked the fabric so I figured I could always use it somewhere else.

Blog Entries
    I have only bought bolts of RK Kona. Like you said, when i'm done, I'm done.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Why buy a whole bolt of fabric? My neighbor says it is "fabric mania". She says you get into a fabric shop, see a fabric you like, and you become manic and can't leave without the whole thing.............then sometimes you get home and settle down, and wonder why you bought it.

I've bought whole bolts of muslin to hand dye. I've also bought a whole bolt of a fabric that I loved so much. I got tired of it after a while!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Most bolts are 15 yards or less. If you want it for the focus, borders and backing of a queen size quilt that could be 12 to 13 yards of fabric. Add a couple of pillow cases or pillow shams and you've probably got just a little bit left out of 15 yards.

Power Poster
    The only time I bolt a whole bolt of fabric was for background fabric and it was on sale.

backings, borders, and binding. I'll buy whats left on a bolt for the discount.

Blog Entries
    I buy whole bolts of fabrics that I think will be hard to find and I agree with Scissor Queen's statement about borders, backings, etc.
    Bernie

Fabriclovr
    I agree, once I am done with the fabric I don't use it again. I do buy bolts of black as I use them for backgrounds and I have bought bolts from joanns but their bolts r only 8 yards and I used it for backing and pillow cases.. other than that, I agree, you fall in love with it and then bring it home and wonder why you bought so much!

I have never bought a whole bolt but there are definitely times when I wished I had!

Blog Entries
    It's cheaper to buy a bolt from wholesellers. I but bolts when I go to Marshall's Dry Goods. A group of us will go and buy bolts then swap fabric yard for yard. Everyone has different fabrics for the bolt price. I keep a bolt of Amish black and neutral tone on tone. I always use them in most quilts. Marshall's has in store specials usually $1.98 per yard if you buy the whole bolt. Yardage is 8 - 15 yards per bolt. I can buy the whole bolt of most name brand fabrics for what a few yards would cost if cut from the bolt. I wouldn't buy a whole bolt from a quilt shop at regular per yard price.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I never thought I'd buy that much of one particular fabric at one time either. But, then I figured that if I really liked a fabric, there are so many different patterns it would look good in. And, lets face it, you need at least 6 yards of each color to work with. I make mostly large quilts. I have a King Size bed and almost every one I know does. So, I'm always thinking big.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

i have never bought a full new bolt but have bought the last few yards off some for backings.

Usually when I buy a whole bolt of fabric it is for upholstery or drapery use or for costuming. Then what is left is available for quilt, tote bag, or other smaller piece usage. I just finished hemming the side edges of 165 yd of velvet that I got at a huge discount at a warehouse clearance sale. It will be used for draping the candle booth at Scarborough Faire. Now I just need to determine the exact length each panel needs to be (at least 3 yd as the openings are approximately 9 ft tall, but not sure how much more) and do the header and bottom hems on the panels... Will be measuring tomorrow when I take the first load of display stuff up there to Waxahachie. The rolls of velvet varied in length from 3-1/2 yards to 17 yards each. The colors are various mossy greens, golds, browns and tans along with a roll each of a deep sea blue and a rich orange for accents. Will take pictures when its all done.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I've bought whole bolts of fabric when the price was right and I knew I would use it. I have bought whole bolts of fabrics at garage or estate sales because the owner wanted to sell it that way and the price was VERY right. Most of the time it has come in useful, if only to cut sample pieces for blocks or clothes. I have only one bolt that I have not used ... an ugly green and brown ... but I will find a use for it one of these days, I'm sure.

I just went thru a whole bolt of fabric making coordinating quilt, pillow shams, pillows, curtains and covering for an open under sink area for my daughter's dorm room. Actually had to go buy a little more just this morning because I was short a 3 1/2 inch strip!!! Of course I don't think I want to look at it again!!

Why buy fabric by the bolt? I guess for the same reason that some people buy large quantites of chicken, toilet paper, or scouring powder at warehouse stores like Costco, Sam's Club or BJs.

I buy bolts when there's a quantity discount or a good sale, and especially when it's a basic solid or a blender that I know I'll use in the future even if I have no specific plans for it at the time of purchase. I've never regretted doing so and it saves money...same as that chicken at Costco.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I bought a bolt of a certain color for a Cathedral Windows that I want to make, but I don't think one bolt will be enough! It's 15 yards, and I've been told to expect a king size to need as much as 30 yards.

Blog Entries
    I have bought a whole bolt of muslin - with a 40$ coupon at Joann's and I have also bought interfacing that way for tee shirt quilts - also with the 40% off coupon. A long arm quilter would buy bolts of batting when on sale - but printed fabric - not me - unless maybe a batik but I like variety too much

I would buy whole bolts of Kona solids in colors I like (and hope to soon), and if I were able to at the time I would have bought a whole bolt of the Dropcloth print in yellow from Jay McCarrols' Habitat line (I could only manage 5 yards). I love that print and would use it with a lot of my projects (bags, a skirt, several quilt backings...).

Blog Entries
    If I want the borders cut length of fabric plus the backing of a quilt, I can rapidly approach the 15 yd mark for a queen/king sized quilt.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast