Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

The only time I bought a bolt of fabric was many years ago and everyone was using muslin for backings and the real wide fabrics weren't available here. But no more. I usually pick a different backing to go with each quilt when I make them now. I still have some wide white that I bought for backings but it sits. I am going to use some it for other things now. I still use some white for backings but it is more rare.

I only buy my quilt linning by the bolt.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I could see buying it for either background fabric or possibly for backing I wish I could afford to buy a whole bolt the prices are so high right now here it would be a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Most bolts are 15 yards or less. If you want it for the focus, borders and backing of a queen size quilt that could be 12 to 13 yards of fabric. Add a couple of pillow cases or pillow shams and you've probably got just a little bit left out of 15 yards.
    this is my world works also. If I truly love a fabric, I will use it in as many quilts as I can. Then I miss it when it's gone!

Some people want the biggest stash they can get. I personally only buy backings and nuetrals by the bolt. I love white on whites so I often buy a whole bolt. It never stays around long.

A bolt is anywhere from 10 to 15 yards. It takes 9 yards to back a king-size quilt. That's one reason.

I buy bolts of white on white, cream on cream and other "neutrals" occasionally. I did buy a 15 yard bolt of big red roses on a royal purple background. In my defense, my daughter told me it would be good for stackNwhack and one block wonders (and it only cost $.50 a yard). I have a bolt of a gold print that makes a great accent or blender with orientals.

I more often than not will buy 5 yards or more and already have several bolts sitting in my house that are from 8 yards to 10-15 yards on each. I buy them first and fore most cause I can and want to. I also do so when the price has it on sale as a Walmart in a neighboring town had this week for $2 to $3 a yard so I picked several bolts I liked the quality of and took all of it. It had from 8 to 10 yards on these bolts. Most of there bolts at Walmart if full is usually 10 to 15 yards but mostly 10 yards. I use it all to make quilts for homeless children and displaced children (those taken out of there homes and put in foster care). Now I have purchased a bolt at regular price of black, white, and gray to use in my modern quilt projects and got a discount from the LQS for doing so. She knocked of a couple dollars per yard which saved me quite a bit. I also like to do free form piecing into scrappy quilts or into scrappy one of a kind cut block for a special project. I like to experiment so need many solids and printed fabrics.
    cparant

I used to work in a fabric department and sometime is was to good of a deal to pass up. Have bought bolts of denium and used them to make western dusters for re-enactors. And of course my sons all wanted one. Even won a blue ribbon for one of my dusters at the county fair. I was getting really good at making them. LOL
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

I recently bought a full bolt of white on white. If you buy by the bolt my LQS in a neighboring town will give a discount.
    cparant

lgc
    Blog Entries
    Most bolts of fabric have 15 yards to a bolt. If someone is making a large king size quilt, backing could take 10 yards.
    Borders could be 2 1/4 yards +/- and if you want any of that same fabric in the blocks or matching pillow cases buy the whole bolt.

Sorry to repeat what others have said. Sometimes I just don't read the replys before I answer.
    lgc

I buy white for dyeing, black as many of my quilts have black in them, prints I like just for backs & binding. If it's a good neutral, it goes into many quilts and sometimes it's just a good buy.

I very seldom buy whole bolts besides Kona black. I did buy whole or near whole bolts for military donation quilts. Also many bolts do not have as much fabric on them as they used to. For a king size quilt back if the same fabric is used in the border makes almost a bolt.
    Anna Quilts

I too bought a whole bolt + when I started on my Magic Vine for my bedroom. I wanted drapes and pillowshams to match. There was only 14 yds on a bolt, so it was not as much as it sounds. I have also bought the muslin bolts when Joann has it on sale. Use them for foundations and backings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
    I didn't know this. I will have to keep it in mind next it I go! Hmmmm...

Saturday??
    I sent you a PM. Marshall's sends out specials and new arrivals by email.
    Got fabric?

I bought a bolt of USMC fabric and made a queen size quilt for my BIL. I've since used it for walker caddies to donate to the Wounded Warrior project. There are times when I would like to buy a bolt, but can't justify the cost.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

i buy whole bolts of certain fabrics too...usually the first thing that i make from a whole bolt is a quilt or a garment..it takes at least three to four yards to make a really nice garment..then of course you might use some to make a matching accessory too..then of course there are quilt bindings, sashings, borders and so forth. i had seven pieces of fabrics that i saved from leftover bolts used on other projects and made seven gorgeous sunbonnets. one thing i buy usually two or three bolts of at the same time is muslin or good kona natural/white when these go on sale..it makes for a tremendous bargain and although it might sit on the shelf for a little while, it wont go to waste either and is always handy. years ago in the pioneer days fabric was purchased by the bolt because you never knew when fabric would be available to purchase.

I agree that I would buy only Kona white and black and muslin by the bolt.

Purchased a bolt of good quality natural muslin from LQS for my Dear Jane..It was just easier in the long run.

Judy in Phx, AZ

I have only bought what was almost a whole bolt once. It was a lovely green on green and I have used it in several different projects. Would only do this with fabric colors that are good blenders.

I do the same, but I think it is fine. everyones voice can be heard...smile....

Quote Originally Posted by lgc View Post
    Most bolts of fabric have 15 yards to a bolt. If someone is making a large king size quilt, backing could take 10 yards.
    Borders could be 2 1/4 yards +/- and if you want any of that same fabric in the blocks or matching pillow cases buy the whole bolt.

Sorry to repeat what others have said. Sometimes I just don't read the replys before I answer.

I have only bought I bolt of fabric so far. It has a pink background with 4 cows standing on their back legs line dancing. Some are hanging onto their udders while dancing with goofy smiles on their faces!!! I just love it!!!! I HAD to buy the whole bolt. It makes me smile every time. I am making whack and stack quilts out of the material.

I would (and have) bought whole bolts of college team fabrics, or major team fabrics...lots of family who all want a niners quilt, etc.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

I am looking to buy a bolt of white or light Batik for the Wedding Star I am planning on making. I am having a heck of a time finding the color I want. It can have a little bit of tourquoise/agua and purple in it but only a hint of those colors. My rings and stars are going to start with a white with light tourquiose and goes up to a Tourquiose and purple. It is something I have in my head but I am not sure I will ever find this fabric I am looking for. Which will be a shame as I have bought all the other fabric.

Trish at Quilting Bee in Yuma AZ has been nice enough to order in several bolt for me to look at. But they won't be here till Sept. I think I have to make 322 rings so that will keep me busy for a while.

I used to be able to buy whole bolts of fabric and loved it. I loved everybit of fabric I bought and am so glad I bought when it was a lot cheaper. Now, I can't afford to buy much, so I have a great stash that I can pretty much make anything without having to buy additional fabric. f you have room for it and can afford it, but the whole bolt. You probably won't be sorry in the long run.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Quote Originally Posted by Quilterfay View Post
    I am looking to buy a bolt of white or light Batik for the Wedding Star I am planning on making. I am having a heck of a time finding the color I want. It can have a little bit of tourquoise/agua and purple in it but only a hint of those colors. My rings and stars are going to start with a white with light tourquiose and goes up to a Tourquiose and purple. It is something I have in my head but I am not sure I will ever find this fabric I am looking for. Which will be a shame as I have bought all the other fabric.

Trish at Quilting Bee in Yuma AZ has been nice enough to order in several bolt for me to look at. But they won't be here till Sept. I think I have to make 322 rings so that will keep me busy for a while.
    I think Timeless Treasures line of batiks has a white that has a hint of blue. My LQS has a lot of white-based batiks, but I think the shapes in them are winter-themed. If I make it over there soon I'll check them out and come back and post the manufacturer info.

Here's the one I was thinking of: http://www.ttfabrics.net/cgi-bin/fab...587&Page=1&v=1
    Last edited by Hemlock Tea; 03-30-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added link

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast