Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric? >

Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If you sew professionally, or sell at craft shows, you can easily go through full bolts of popular fabrics.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 AM

I have purchased bolts of fabric because they are white on white or I just loved the black/white pattern. If you want blenders, this place has bolts of blenders for $2.98/yard (usually 15 yards). Also the white on white (W/W) are $3.25/yard. (Type W/W in the search line).

http://fabric4less.com/

You have to sign in to see the prices, but it is painless.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 PM

i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
carla
Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 AM

Quilt your skirt, then it doesn't have to be ironed! Same for jackets, coats and vests!!

Originally Posted by carla m View Post
i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
carla
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM

I will buy a whole bolt of fabric especially if it black because I do not like to run out and blacks are nigh impossible to match. I also like to not piece my borders so I want enough to cut whole length borders. I will also purchase a whole bolt of fabric that I absolutely love and know it will be used in other quilts.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM

I bought a whole bolt of Kona Cream, because it's my absolute favorite background fabric, and I use it everywhere, and I got a great deal. Now I wish I'd gotten two! I bought a whole bolt of a kids fabric, and yes, I made the same quilt for all of the "little" grandkids, but since they're all spread out, and it was absolutely darling fabric, it worked. I used the leftovers for a few baby quilts for the local hospital. I used a whole bolt to decorate my "girl cave" and sewing area. Actually ran out and had to buy more, but not a lot. I often but not always buy batting by the bolt. I have what is left of 3 bolts of generic backing material, wide size, all different, and I love each one. So great to have on hand. I guess the point is that each purchase of a bolt involved a conscious and well thought out choice to obtain something I would definitely use, if not immediately, then over time. It had to be a fabric I wouldn't easily tire of. And it had to be not just on sale, but involve a significant savings over buying it by the yard. Just to buy a bolt because I love the fabric, with no clear plan on what I was going to use it for, is something my budget can't afford! LOL! But that doesn't mean the thought hasn't crossed my mind!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM

I have bought whole bolts that have been clearance priced, or at a fantastic price. The Quilts for Kids quilts that I am currently putting together come from 3 bolts of coordinating fabric that I bought for $1.69 a yard. And it's Bernatex fabric!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!