Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM
MacThayer

I bought a whole bolt of Kona Cream, because it's my absolute favorite background fabric, and I use it everywhere, and I got a great deal. Now I wish I'd gotten two! I bought a whole bolt of a kids fabric, and yes, I made the same quilt for all of the "little" grandkids, but since they're all spread out, and it was absolutely darling fabric, it worked. I used the leftovers for a few baby quilts for the local hospital. I used a whole bolt to decorate my "girl cave" and sewing area. Actually ran out and had to buy more, but not a lot. I often but not always buy batting by the bolt. I have what is left of 3 bolts of generic backing material, wide size, all different, and I love each one. So great to have on hand. I guess the point is that each purchase of a bolt involved a conscious and well thought out choice to obtain something I would definitely use, if not immediately, then over time. It had to be a fabric I wouldn't easily tire of. And it had to be not just on sale, but involve a significant savings over buying it by the yard. Just to buy a bolt because I love the fabric, with no clear plan on what I was going to use it for, is something my budget can't afford! LOL! But that doesn't mean the thought hasn't crossed my mind!