Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Every once in a while, design lines are sold in 10 yd. bolts (always approx.!) IF a shop buys the whole collection - every piece. There have been several occasions I wish I had availed myself of the opportunity to purchase the entire collection of a fall line of Fossil Ferns (Pat Campbell) from Benartex. I ordered it for my shop back in 1999, sold most of the bolts within one week and had to re-order the whole collection again! The Benartex people were standing in the aisle at Market in Houston that year (about 6 weeks later) talking about us for having done that! I've hoarded and nearly used up every scrap of the 1.5 yards I cut from each bolt for my personal stash. But they are *still* such great blenders I've wished many times I'd just really floored those manufacturers and re-ordered TWO bolts of everything!

Jan in VA

They were used in this shop sample....not a very good pic of them though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Most bolts are 15 yards or less. If you want it for the focus, borders and backing of a queen size quilt that could be 12 to 13 yards of fabric. Add a couple of pillow cases or pillow shams and you've probably got just a little bit left out of 15 yards.
    Just what she said!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I will buy natural and white muslim from 44' to 120's wide, and black and indigo blue by the bolt. As I'll use them for backings and back grounds. It's amazing how fast it goes. Oh bought most of them for discounts of 50% off for 1 cut of fabric and coupons off intire orders.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased a couple of bolts of white on white. I love quilts with brights and white. If I had the money i would love to buy a few bolts of Kaufman fusions. I use it as soon as I get it. Love them.
    Happy Quilting.

I buy basics by the whole bolt but it usually is on sale when I do. But I do like the post about being "fabric manic" and buy the whole bolt then get home and wonder why you did! I tend to keep a healthy stash, but now I am justifying my problem by calling myself a fabric collector.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I buy a lot of bolts.. I make quilts for newborns in need, and well I just love fabric.. Every now and then i sell some off that I haven't used but I prefer to buy the whole bolt versus yardage.. I want to make sure I have enough for a project if i need it..

Since a bolt is only 15 yards, you can go through that quickly just by using 5-7 yards for a backing!

I would like to but, haven't seen whole bolts of white on white and off white on off white. If I did I would probably buy the full bolt. Lots of uses for it. A matching backing to main color on quilt top can use up that 15 yds. real fast.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I would like to but, haven't seen whole bolts of white on white and off white on off white. If I did I would probably buy the full bolt. Lots of uses for it. A matching backing to main color on quilt top can use up that 15 yds. real fast.
    If i find WOW, or TOT or even beautiful neutrals I certainly buy the bolt.. One can never have enough neutral in their stash.. And they make great alternative backings if you cant find exactly what your looking for..

I buy whole bolts of bleached and natural muslin, kona black, and some nutruals, and some solids that i will use on a regular baises, and i only buy when it is on sale or i have a 50% coupon.

That makes sense to buy a whole bolt when making a queen sized quilt. I never thought about it but it would be better to make sure you have more than enough to prevent the store not having the fabric in stock later. Thanks!

I will buy a bolt if I can get a good deal. Usually black, white-on-white, neutral TOT or muslin if I have a coupon. I picked up a bolt of black Kona at Goodwill for $10! Most prints I probably wouldn't unless I was working on a large quilt where I knew I would use it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know many who buy whole bolts of wide, backgrounds, specialty stuff...#1- reason, if they get the shop to special order it and pay up front, some shops offer bolt pricing!
    I wish I would have bought more bolts of the Original fairy frost gold...it was much prettier than the stuff they brought out 3-4 years ago!

QM
    There are blenders or particularly rich batiks I would buy by the bolt, or backings. I regularly buy Moda's excellent muslin that way. I suspect, however, that some people would do it because they are making a lot (maybe charity baby quilts) and don't mind doing the same thing over and over. On a good sale, that's another thing. DH bought me a full bolt of railroad denim one day at 50 cents a yard, and some lovely rich all wool plaid another time. I got tired of both, but used all of it and was happy to have the fabric on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Marshall's has in store specials usually $1.98 per yard if you buy the whole bolt. Yardage is 8 - 15 yards per bolt. I can buy the whole bolt of most name brand fabrics for what a few yards would cost if cut from the bolt. I wouldn't buy a whole bolt from a quilt shop at regular per yard price.

I didn't know this. I will have to keep it in mind next it I go! Hmmmm...

Saturday??

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who wanted 11 yds of fabric for backing a very , large quilt. The fabric she wanted had flaws in it. Some were in good places (where she would cut to piece it) and others where she'd have 1/3 yd she'd have to cut out or so. Anyway, she really wanted that fabric, and there were enough good lengths in it if she bought the whole 18 yds, so she did. She does quite a bit of quilting, so the little extra pieces were welcomed.
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfs View Post
    I buy basics by the whole bolt but it usually is on sale when I do. But I do like the post about being "fabric manic" and buy the whole bolt then get home and wonder why you did! I tend to keep a healthy stash, but now I am justifying my problem by calling myself a fabric collector.

That is too funny! Me too, I am a fabric collector!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Depends how cheap it is for the quality. You can always change the look by varying the accessory colours. I don't think it is usual here, at $26.00 a metre but I did buy whole bolts at one sale where they were selling off at $5.00 and $10.00 per bolt of good quality material. I've only just finished the last of it this year after buying them about 10 years ago. That has been a real saving that has kept me happily busy.

Because I can....

I have purchased whole bolts, but mainly good quality muslin or a tone on tone that I know I will use for backgrounds. I have never bought 'colors' of fabric in bolts however.
    Remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,

but by the moments that take our breath away.

When a friend took me to a wholesale fabric warehouse, I could buy a 5 yard flat fold or a bolt. I got a green depression solid bolt, a colonial blue solid bolt, a rose batik bolt, and the rest were 5 yard pieces. I am still using them for tops. The price was just so good. If I had been doing my charity quilts at the time, I would have bought a girl and a boy print in bolt sizes. (two years ago the wholesale price was less than $2 per yard except for the batik which was around $3.50 per yard.)

Recently a fabric store went out of business and I bought the rest of three large bolts. 60% off LQS quality was too good to pass up and I had brought the blocks that needed the fabric. So I have background or backs for these three and I love the fabrics so the leftovers will go in a quilt.

This is really rare for me since I love scrappy quilts but the prices were just too good to pass up.

I've often bought the whole bolt of fabric that really wowed me. Used and used it in scrap quilts, for borders, bindings, and accents. And mourned when it was all gone. Marshalls has fabric. Uh oh.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

I'd like to say I've never done it, but I have. It was muslin for backing. Usually I piece my backings, but there are always spots to fill in and that is what I use muslin for.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Some buy whole bolts of fabric for their business. Perhaps they make quilts to sell, children's clothes, doll clothes, or something specialized and they know the fabric will be needed over and over again.

Blog Entries
    I am partial to traditional civil was type fabric, in pumpkins and rust and cream. When I find those colors at a reasonable price or on sale, I have bought a whole bolt of pumpkin to back my 2 Farmer's wife quilts. Now I wish I bought a whole bolt of the cream. I have used the 5 yards that I bought in the sashing and as accents in other quilts. Just started a Heritage BOM, and do not care for the dark cream in the BOM. That print is now $9.95 a yard and more, I will buy it when I have more $$ in the budget.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast