Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Blog Entries
    The JoAnn 50% off coupons causes a lot of strange things.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

if it is a print or color that will fit in any quilt pattern i want to make and i love the fabric i will by the bolt if it is on sale i dont think this is something the quilt police will get you on

I purchase bolts because everytime I go for light colors, there is no fabric available. So I have purchased several bolts of creams, white on white, and muslins over the years. Use it for backgrounds. I have in fact used a total of 7 bolts of fabric in the past three years doing quilts.

Blog Entries
    I make very large appliqued quilts and wall hangings. I often buy a bolt wholesale because I know I will use it all. I need a lot of greens for tress, shrubs etc. Lots of browns, black and gray for animals etc. Also use a lot of black for sashing (bought two of those and one is already gone).
    Debbie
    Machine It

I love to buy bargain bolts of fabric; I probably have at least 15 bolts on hand. I bought two bolts of minkee for $1 a yard on sale wholesale. Twenty-five years ago, I bought several bolts of apron panels and made over 35 lined aprons for our employees. Now I make reversible aprons with fabric that I have.

I buy a whole bolt of black Kona fabric. Blacks are hard to match and I like to use it a lot. I have brought a bolt of muslin, but not any pattern or design.

Whole Bolt

Years ago I went nuts and made a whole bedroom ensemble for my youngest DD. ruffled canopy cover, bedruffle, pillows and quilt. I bought a whole bolt of muslin - needed it with all the ruffles and HAND stenciled it to match the wall border. Came out great tea dyed the muslin. That was long ago when I thought I had no time....Now I know I have no time.LOL.

I had to buy a bolt recently, and an extra yard to boot. I was making curtains for two large windows. One bolt was 12 yards, so I bought the whole thing. I used almost every bit of it all, too, and then some more for the panel inserts I embroidered various designs.
    http://thecallanders.name
    http://SewWriteCreations.etsy.com

In the past I have bought full or partially full bolts of fabric. We have a salvage store locally that carries fabrics and the prices USED to be very reasonable but in the past year the quality has gone down as the prices have risen so I no longer buy bolts but when I did I usually knew I could use it in a quilt and have the rest for a backing. I've often purchased a bolt of white on white as that always comes in handy for a number of projects as background fabric.
    Anne Freeman
    Hermon ME

If I see a fabric I really love but do not have a specific project in mind I will buy the bolt to make sure that I will have enough fabric to make whatever later down the road. As we all know, it's often not easy to find the same fabric again several months later if you should come up short or just flat screw up when cutting out your design. I can always use the left over fabric for pillow cases to match a quilt or swap it with a friend for another fabric. I know it's expensive and may seem wasteful to outher but to me it's sort of like insurance. And, it's not something I do on a regular basis.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    If I was making cordinates for my kitchen, I would like everything to match. I have also bought whole bolts for backing, and binding. Especially if it was ON SALE!!!

debra
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

Like others have said....borders, backing, background, etc on a large quilt, a fabric you use alot like a Kona Black or WOW or your favorite neutral on sale, or to make coordinating shams, valances etc.

I bought a bolt of muslin about 9 months ago and never regretted it for a moment. I got it with a 50% off coupon and have used it almost weekly. Sometimes for piecing tops, sometime for the back. But it is a real convenience to just pop to my stash and grab the yardage I need. I also inherited half bolt of really wide muslin. That is wonderful for quilt back. I have that on my shopping list next time I get a really good coupon. There are a couple of prints that I use free

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I talked to my LQS owner yesterday about a fabric line coming in and I told her that on the QB there are quite a few women who buy whole bolts of fabric. She didn't know either. I have never bought a bolt. I like a fabric for one quilt and then I'm done with it. Don't want to use it again. But, if it's like Kona white or a nice black, I would buy a bolt, but never for anything else. So, why buy bolts of fabric? Making the same quilt for all your kids or grandkids?
    I had customers who would buy the bolt to make accessories for a room...curtains, pillows, etc. Some would buy it to be able to make backing and outer borders to match. 9 yards for a back and 3 for the outer borders, and you have nearly used a whole bolt! LOL
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the question jcrow. I've enjoyed reading the answers as I too wondered about that. I haven't quilted long and only lap quilts so couldn't imagine needing that much fabric but now I can see why.

Blog Entries
    I will buy ends of bolts for the discounts or lots of yardage to buy the bolt if it is on sale for a cheap price as can be used for backings for charity quilts

Quote Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
    Why buy a whole bolt of fabric? My neighbor says it is "fabric mania". She says you get into a fabric shop, see a fabric you like, and you become manic and can't leave without the whole thing.............then sometimes you get home and settle down, and wonder why you bought it.

I do that first part, but have yet to reach the 'settling down' stage. I never wonder why I bought it, I always make up some excuse as to 'why.'
    Currently, my favorite reason is 'Stacked against an outside wall, it makes good insulation.'
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

to make One Block Wonder quilts. It takes alot. I just bought 3 bolts of colorful fabric, dots and stripes for kids quilts. I make these for charity. I use them in the quilt and for the backing and binding. I did by wholesale at a warehouse sale. I dont pay full price for a full bolt.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

If I can find a great price, I will buy a whole bolt for the quillows I make for Angels Undercover.
    One more material Girl~

I bought a whole bolt of muslin that's 90" wide. It was on sale too. I dye fabric so wanted it for that and I also use it for backings. Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a project and I need it, it's nice to be able to just cut what I need and not have to stop to go to the store. I use a lot of black solid fabric, and usually buy 5 yards of that at once. I'd probably be better off if I bought a whole bolt of that when it's on sale too. I have another friend who nearly always buys the whole bolt when she sees a fabric she likes.

Guess I would buy a bolt if it was super CHEAP!!! could always use it. I make alot of charity quilts. But still it would have to be priced super cheap

If I find a really good price on a cute kid fabric I like, I'll buy a bolt to make crib/playpen sheets. They make great baby gifts and can be so much cheaper and cuter if you find fabric on great sales. Of course, I usually make them up assembly line, so the bolt is gone quickly. It takes around a yard for playpen sheets and 2 yards for crib sheets, so then I have several sets of sheets on hand for gifts.

I buy batting by the entire roll, then I can cut the size I need. I like to work with Warm & Natural so yes I have a huge roll of it. Fabric no, I would probably sick of it no matter how much I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by indymta View Post
    Thanks for the question jcrow. I've enjoyed reading the answers as I too wondered about that. I haven't quilted long and only lap quilts so couldn't imagine needing that much fabric but now I can see why.
    Ditto what indymta said. I have also enjoyed reading all the responses and am now seriously thinking about buying bolts, especially neutrals.
    Susette
    http://fabricribbonandyarn.blogspot.com/

I bought a bolt of Fossil Fern, blueberry color once, I used it for backing,borders and binding for a queen size quilt. It was cheaper to buy the bolt rather than by the yard. This was about 6 yrs ago when fabrics were much cheaper.

The quilt is "Tennesee Waltz" pattern by Eleanor Burns.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719APatjV

Sharon W. in central TX

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast