Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Why do people buy a whole bolt of fabric?

Blog Entries
    I only buy the bolts of the white on white prints, and if I'm doing a big project for a room and need pillow shams.
    Quilting in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    The only time I bolt a whole bolt of fabric was for background fabric and it was on sale.
    I have to agree it needs to be on sale, maybe have in mind for a backing/border but after that I think I too would get tired of it!
    Love 4 stchen

Blog Entries
    The only time that I bolt a whole bolt is when a store was closing and it was ten dollars or that I absolutely loved loved loved the fabric and the pattern that I'm using it for requires fussy cutting.
    The Quilting Bear

Blog Entries
    I will buy a whole bolt if it is on super sale or I just love it! I figure I will use it for somthing down the road.
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    i also buy whole bolts , great for backing , and cheaper
    love my grandsons justin & jeremy , love my big family and bff katherine .

Our guild is having a bolt party this summer. Participating members are going to each buy a bolt of batik that is on clearance and then swap yard for yard with each other.

Blog Entries
    I have bought whole bolts of muslin. I use it for backing small items such as placemats & table runners.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggirl View Post
    My favorite fabric line is Kansas Troubles. I always buy a whole bolt of wide fabric so I always have it on hand for my quilt backings. Plus, buying the whole bolt insures that I won't have to pay a higher price per yard when fabric prices increase. Just a personal preference for me.
    Plus, if you end up needing more fabric, the dye lot matches. Take it from one who found out the hard way, if the dye lot is different, you're in a world of hurt!

P. S: I love, love, love Kansas Troubles, too! Yum!!! Plus the various collections all go together!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryquilter View Post
    I have bought whole bolts of muslin. I use it for backing small items such as placemats & table runners.
    I always buy my muslin by the bolt. I get a bolt of bleached & one of unbleached. I use it for almost all the backs on my quilts (unless CT has some good stuff on clearance) & nothing makes me madder than to run out when I'm putting a back piece together.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
    Our guild is having a bolt party this summer. Participating members are going to each buy a bolt of batik that is on clearance and then swap yard for yard with each other.
    That sounds soooooooooooooo fun! You're so lucky to belong to such a neat guild!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    If you sew professionally, or sell at craft shows, you can easily go through full bolts of popular fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased bolts of fabric because they are white on white or I just loved the black/white pattern. If you want blenders, this place has bolts of blenders for $2.98/yard (usually 15 yards). Also the white on white (W/W) are $3.25/yard. (Type W/W in the search line).

http://fabric4less.com/

You have to sign in to see the prices, but it is painless.

i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
    carla

Blog Entries
    Quilt your skirt, then it doesn't have to be ironed! Same for jackets, coats and vests!!

Quote Originally Posted by carla m View Post
    i think i wouldnt buy a whole bolt either unless it was white black or cream since i seem to go thru tons of those and could use it on anything. although my mil gave me a bolt of black fabric with beautiful lilacs on it ive used it to back a quilt and a border for another its a good thing im crazy about purple cause there sure is alot of it left id really like a skirt out of it but with it being cotton im not sure id want to iron it all the time although i do think it would be pretty, im really not much of a garment sewer i have nightmares about high school home ec lol.
    carla
    Debbie
    Machine It

I will buy a whole bolt of fabric especially if it black because I do not like to run out and blacks are nigh impossible to match. I also like to not piece my borders so I want enough to cut whole length borders. I will also purchase a whole bolt of fabric that I absolutely love and know it will be used in other quilts.
    Sweet Caroline

I bought a whole bolt of Kona Cream, because it's my absolute favorite background fabric, and I use it everywhere, and I got a great deal. Now I wish I'd gotten two! I bought a whole bolt of a kids fabric, and yes, I made the same quilt for all of the "little" grandkids, but since they're all spread out, and it was absolutely darling fabric, it worked. I used the leftovers for a few baby quilts for the local hospital. I used a whole bolt to decorate my "girl cave" and sewing area. Actually ran out and had to buy more, but not a lot. I often but not always buy batting by the bolt. I have what is left of 3 bolts of generic backing material, wide size, all different, and I love each one. So great to have on hand. I guess the point is that each purchase of a bolt involved a conscious and well thought out choice to obtain something I would definitely use, if not immediately, then over time. It had to be a fabric I wouldn't easily tire of. And it had to be not just on sale, but involve a significant savings over buying it by the yard. Just to buy a bolt because I love the fabric, with no clear plan on what I was going to use it for, is something my budget can't afford! LOL! But that doesn't mean the thought hasn't crossed my mind!
    MacThayer

I have bought whole bolts that have been clearance priced, or at a fantastic price. The Quilts for Kids quilts that I am currently putting together come from 3 bolts of coordinating fabric that I bought for $1.69 a yard. And it's Bernatex fabric!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5