Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QAYG - My Big Mistake! >

QAYG - My Big Mistake!

QAYG - My Big Mistake!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Default QAYG - My Big Mistake!

How stupid am I !!! Having done some borders with the QAYG technique....thought I would go bigger.

The hour glass ( first time I tried the block) was not sensible, I admit I mostly stick to squares, apart from sail boat block quilt that I did. So if you do QAYG, do be careful about your joins as they are going to be bulky! A pinwheel on the join is not ideal ( how dumb am I) - I was pretty stressed as it's a Christmas gift, but now I'm doing the last 6 of the 9 rows the traditional way and will add to the rest.

My DH has been an angel, pinned all my blocks, cut and sewn my binding... He has never done any sewing before! He has kept me sane.

Good luck all with your Xmas projects!
Old 12-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

I have done a few QAYG quilts and always want to make more. I usually just go with a regular quilt.
Maybe you could add a decorative stitch over the seams to make them stronger.
Glad your Husband has been so helpful.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM

You know, I don't think I would have thought about thick borders before I launched right in, which is my style. I've just learned something from your little crisis! Thank you!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:22 PM

The Queen of Stitching has some good tutorials that were meant for those who do blocks on an embroidery machine.
I just tried it with regular blocks. It isn't bad.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 AM

Thanks for comments.

Welcome MacThayer.

Jingle - I will try again- maybe blocks with sashing- can see that would be easier. Like idea of not manhandling a big quilt through the throat area! It's not making them stronger I am worried about - it is the bulk of sewing together 5 layers on the seam of a pinwheel- I have a lump there now - oh well - I chose the wrong block. My fault.

WeezyRider - will look that up, many thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 AM

Believe it or not but there is a tool for helping on thick seams. It was recommended by the autor of Hot Piping at our guild meeting where she was guest speaker. It looks like a wooden mallet but is a little different. All you do is hammer the thick seam and voila! No more problem. She was selling them there and I would imagine they are on her web site.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:14 AM

Furter to the wooden mallet.....Susan Cleveland was the person who recommended this tool and it is appropriately called "The wackier" end can be found on her site with directions on using it. Google hot pipe bindings or Susan Cleveland "piece be with you" and look under products.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:05 AM

Just finished a QAYG quilt. I put all my borders together first, quilted each border and then sewed them to the quilt with a sash as with the blocks. Used a square in the corners and then quilted the squares to match the rest. Only had to put the border through the machine 4 times instead of 12 (I had 3 borders. This is all a learning experience. I love QAYG. So much fun doing the FMQ myself. Will try to do all my quilts this way. I am not a "show" quilter. Just love to sew.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

oh yes, sashing in between does help. I'm making a chevron quilt and had lots of left overs for the back. well I figured it would work if I did two halves. not! seams right in the center join won't work. I can do it but won't. I guess I will just sew the halves into a whole and quilt it that way. I'd hate to ruin it due to a center seam on the back. Live and learn.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Please, a picture of your project?

Thanks in advance,

Pat