Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design wall >

design wall

design wall

Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 AM

Default design wall

I have seen the design walls that look like a pull-down projector screen with flannel covering. The ones I have seen have a wooden shelf-looking thing at the top and the design wall when not is use is hidden inside the box unit. Does anyone have one of these and do you like it? How flimsy is the screen itself. Do the blocks adhere well to the flannel? Sorry, lots of questions but I would like my husband to build one for me and not sure how well it works. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 AM

Great question I am curious too. My design wall is the spare bed it "works" but I would love something I can step back from and get better perspective of my growing idea.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:51 AM
anonymous

This is a nice one. Well made and industrial roller. I don't have it, but it appears that way on line.
http://www.design-a-way.com/

Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 AM

I can't help with the design wall you are asking about, but I made a "portable" one out of insulation board from somewhere like Home Depot that might interest you. I covered it with Warm and Natural and duck taped it on. Mine is 48 inches wide by 70 inches tall. I cut about two feet off of the top when I got it, but I sort of wish I had left that part on...in hindsight.

But this works fine for me. When I am not using it...which is rare, as it turns out... it can hide behind my door, sort of. I am going to take a picture, but I am too lazy to move the bags off of my doorknob, so it won't look like it hides too well in the picture.

Just info for you to think about, in case it might work for you. It didn't cost too much, fabric sticks well to it, and I can even pin a whole quilt top (okay, sometimes it sticks off) on if I want. I am really happy with my design wall. Normally it just leans agains my closet doors, but I can move it easily if I want in the closet.

Okay, off to take pictures. I have a small but cozy sewing room, so ignore all the extra stuff in the pictures.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001612.jpg   s8001613.jpg   s8001614.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Dina, I like your design board.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Dina, I like your design board.
Thanks, it works really well for me.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Not sure how well Duck tape will last. I took small safety pins and took a thin jute string and wove it back and forth thru the safety pins. It is snug as a bug on a rug, But if I need to wash it, I can take it off the insulation board. I find that flannel is easier to keep clean of odds and ends of lint and threads off the design wall with a sticky roller.

I hope to be able to cover the back with some fabric eventually. The 1" insulation is great because you can use straight pins.
Attached Thumbnails back-design-wall.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 AM

I haven't upgraded yet. I still use my floor or a bed to lay out my pieces.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM

I like this alot. Seems quite simple to do. Thx for sharing
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Not sure how well Duck tape will last. I took small safety pins and took a thin jute string and wove it back and forth thru the safety pins. It is snug as a bug on a rug, But if I need to wash it, I can take it off the insulation board. I find that flannel is easier to keep clean of odds and ends of lint and threads off the design wall with a sticky roller.

I hope to be able to cover the back with some fabric eventually. The 1" insulation is great because you can use straight pins.
thanks for this great tip!