Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs--what's the point? >

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I think it is just one more way to enjoy quilting.
peace
Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 PM

Because it's art, your art, and this is what you do. That's why I would make them. A house is so cozy with lots of quilted art works around, and I really like the look. Perhaps the mother was just thinking about how much extra wash she would do because kids tend to mess things up. I wouldn't give mug rugs to her kids, because she doesn't see the point and would probably just put them away. Try something else, such as a quilted can holder to keep pop cold, or little zipped bags for kids to store their "treasure" in -- something like that. Give the mug rugs to the adults to use. And please don't take what she said as an insult, or reason to wonder if you should give them to anyone. She is entitled to her own opinion, and a lot of people don't know how to use quilted products.

I offered to make my sister a quilt, and she was lukewarm about it. Didn't even care what kind I wanted to make. So I made her a nice quilt, and she's falling all over herself thanking me and telling me how beautiful it is. She thought a "quilt" was one of those cheap things you can get at Target. This was her first experience with a "real" quilt. It was so fun to watch!
Old 12-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Nobody I know wants them. I make my own quilts to suit my taste. I don't like tote bags, either. I prefer hands free so a backpack works better. Potholders are usually more welcome.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM

I like them because they add some color to my desk. I also like to change them frequently for different seasons or holidays (or whatever). We also have coasters that are wood, tile, stone and glass which my husband prefers. I prefer the fabric because I am usually drinking something cold and it absorbs the condensation.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 PM

Is there a specific size for mug rugs? Thanks.

Anita
Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 PM

I made my grandmother a double sided quilted tablecloth (one side is fall the other is Winter ) for her dining room table. I made it in darker colors so that any spills would never show but she still makes my grandfather use a mug rug under his coffee cup at the table so there is no risk of it getting stained ! So my son made my grandfather a new mug rug for Christmas in brown fabrics so it will hide coffee stains better ! ( he pieced mom quilted )
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452940[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn2080.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 PM

I love making mug rugs. I enjoy using them too. I gave one to my husband tonight and he was really glad to get it as there is glass on the table where he sits his coffee cup. He is a little messy so this keeps the glass clean and I can just toss it in the washer when dirty.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 PM

It's a personal choice just as some people use paper napkins and other prefer cloth napkins. I use a mug rug at my desk every single day. It catches drips, protects my desk, and makes me smile when I think of the time I spent making it.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:13 AM

They are fun and another 'excuse' to make something quilted. Actually I don't need an excuse-I really enjoy making little quilts. Sometimes I make them (or potholders) just to have something on hand to give away. They aren't any more silly than tissue box covers, little boxes or lots of other things. They are just fun and are practical. They also give you an excuse to practice your FMQ skills. Keep making them and let the cups rest where they may.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:28 AM

I love mug rugs! I have a bit different use for them. I sew on vintage machines, some are in beautiful wood cabinets. I am worried about laying pins, scissors, stiletto, etc on the wood as I sew. So I use a mug rug as a pad to lay these tools on to avoid scratching the wood. I have several mug rugs so I can pick one to match (or brighten) my mood s I sew!