Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs--what's the point? >

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts View Post
Just have to say, they are fun! I made these 2 as gifties for a couple of quilting buds recently. If they're mistaken for potholders, them someone is not looking. We live where everything sweats as it gets humid. These are larger than coasters, but cuter, too. I don't put anything but the mug/coffee cup on mine. The cookie/brownie doesn't last long enough to put down, anyway!!!
Those are adorable!!!
Old 12-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
I was making some Mug Rugs for my grandkids and my daughter thought the idea was silly--why not use a plate? I really didn't know what to say other than they are cute. Any thoughts?
I don't put food on mine very often... usually just a cup. But they are part coaster, part heat insulator, part absorbant spill sucker-upper and part cozy comfort, so I LOVE them. You just can't say that for a plate.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Is there a specific size for mug rugs? Thanks.

Anita
There's no specific size. I prefer ones on the smallish size. The two I'm using right now are about 5 x 7" -- just the right size for a mug and if I'm snacking, a bit of food on a cocktail napkin. I've received some in swaps that are larger (up to 12 x 12"), but I tend not to use them very often as they take up too much space.

As to people mistaking them for potholders, I pin a label on mine that says:

Mug Rug<O></O>
<O></O>
Larger than a coaster, smaller<O></O>
than a placemat – just right <O></O>
for a “cuppa” and a snack.<O></O>
<O></O>
<O

Last edited by Belfrybat; 12-23-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:32 AM

I love to make mug rugs simply cuz it's fun and they are cute. Instant gratification.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM

I love mug rugs. Mine are square & you can make them for all the seasons. Fun Fun Fun!!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by gale View Post
A plate? I have to say, it has never and would never occur to me to use a plate to set a glass or mug on. I know they have teacups with matching plates but I've never used those. I'm a mug girl.
Tea cups with matching 'saucers'. :-) They have a ring in the middle for the cup to perfectly sit in so it won't slide.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I made some mug rugs for my aunts and mine are more about 8x10. I took the pockets from my husband's jeans and shirts and they like to stick their spoons or little sugar packets in the pockets. I gave them both a set of 4. I also gave my MIL a set. MIL likes hers because they were made from her DS's clothes. The pockets are also big enough if they want they can stuff a couple of cookies or whatever they want into them. They just wash them in Woolite when they're done and toss into the dryer or let dry over the towel rack. MIL's neighbors think they are just the beans. MIL's bff has a birthday in February and would like a set for her. Wanted to know how much they cost. I told her a recent photo of herself. She did specify she didn't want any part of her son on the mugrug (LOL). Happy to oblige. After all it's her son and not bff's.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
Here's ​a little poem I sent along with gifts of mug rugs…….she so enjoys her mug of beer!…so you see these rugs are not only for coffee……..

A place for coffee, vino or tea,

whenever you use it, please think of me.

There's extra room for a little treat,
be it chips or nuts or something sweet.

Now pick up your glass, for a round of good cheer,
and let this pad be home for a tall glass of beer.....

The perfect poem!

May I please use it the next time I make mug rugs?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:31 AM

I've made a whole pile of mug rugs, and my family loves to use them. They're just the right thing for coffee, or a snack, and they fit nicely next to everyone's computer or laptop station. When I give them as gifts, I make it clear that they are more of a mini-placemat, rather than a potholder or trivet. They're great for using up scraps, or trying out new little blocks. I made these for a recent gift exchange, paired with my favorite coffee and a tiny bottle of Jameson's Irish Whiskey. They were a huge hit!
Attached Thumbnails 1522041_10201074606576304_1398422828_n.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
If your DD thinks mug rugs are silly, just don't give her one. LOL I was making a block out of scraps to see if I liked the block, and I ended up making them as placemats for my DH and me.
Would you be able to make her a mug rug to match her dinnerware saucer or favorite mug? I purchased several Christmas mugs and I want to make mug rugs to match to give to my grown daughters, I think they'd like it! (but that's for next year...just like it was suppose to be for this year....LOL)