Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mug Rugs--what's the point? >

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Mug Rugs--what's the point?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the size input. Sounds like the mug rugs are good projects to use up "orphan" blocks (I tend to try a block to see if I like what it looks like before I make a whole top) of which I have too many. Thanks for starting this thread!

Anita
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by pseudoquilter View Post
I was making some Mug Rugs for my grandkids and my daughter thought the idea was silly--why not use a plate? I really didn't know what to say other than they are cute. Any thoughts?
That's my thought too - glad I'm not alone. Seems to me that a mug rug is just larger than a regular coaster and I have made a bunch of regular quilted coasters to use around the house and they work great. But the mug rugs just seem to be coasters that are just larger. Is that the main difference?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
That's my thought too - glad I'm not alone. Seems to me that a mug rug is just larger than a regular coaster and I have made a bunch of regular quilted coasters to use around the house and they work great. But the mug rugs just seem to be coasters that are just larger. Is that the main difference?
I guess if you think 'what's the point' about mug rugs then you'd think the same about coasters. Some mug rugs are the same size as coasters, some are bigger. Depends on what the maker wants them to be but they're basically just coasters. I think her daughter was incredibly rude-I would never disrespect my mom that way.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:18 AM

I rather like 4" or 5" x 8" that way there is room for that cookie!!!!! but mine really depends on the subject on the rug.

Some need more length than the previous while others look good as a square……use your imagination….and make them your own design.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
I make them because they are pretty and fun to make. It's art.
Debbie ~aka applique ~ your ornament bear coaster is simply put, adorable! I agree with you that it is another art form in quilting. Is the running bear your pattern?

Put me in the column with I love my mug rugs. I use mine every day at my desk. I have three different ones, all gifts from other quilters.

I think they are also a quick "I'm thinking of you" to tuck into to an envelope and send to someone as a surprise!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-25-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 AM

It's a cute gift and someone took the time to make it for you by hand. Whether you use it or not, you'll always know that someone loves you enough to make something for you. Isn't that enough reason to make them?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 PM

I make mine about 8.5 x 10-11", approx. the size of a sheet of notebook paper. They're great for using up some of those batting scraps, too.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I guess if you think 'what's the point' about mug rugs then you'd think the same about coasters. Some mug rugs are the same size as coasters, some are bigger. Depends on what the maker wants them to be but they're basically just coasters. I think her daughter was incredibly rude-I would never disrespect my mom that way.
I think the comment was rude too. I was just confused also because the ones I saw posted did appear to be larger than a regular "coaster" which are definitely needed for beverage cups/glasses at times. Guess it's size and semantics that's just different. Have a lovely day.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I make mine 5" square or round.
this is the pattern like I use but mine don't have to be bound
http://aqguild.org/uploads/MUG_RUG.pdf

I think their utility for other people would depend on if they normally used coasters period
Thanks for the link - it's a nice coaster pattern.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts View Post
Just have to say, they are fun! I made these 2 as gifties for a couple of quilting buds recently. If they're mistaken for potholders, them someone is not looking. We live where everything sweats as it gets humid. These are larger than coasters, but cuter, too. I don't put anything but the mug/coffee cup on mine. The cookie/brownie doesn't last long enough to put down, anyway!!!
Those are soooooo cute!