Some more new toys

Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Some more new toys

Since I'm going to be getting a New Home electric machine this weekend, I couldn't pass up a great deal on some New Home attachments.

The buttonholer and extra cams come in a suede texture box, I didn't really need more Greist attachments. . . btw - all the pieces to the tucker were there so I got it put back together.

Another reason I bought this group was it also included this group of attachments. It's always interesting to see what ended up together in the sewing cabinet drawers. I've got all the WW attachments I need, and I'm sure I can find another home for these.

But the most amazing thing (to me) was something I didn't even notice in the pictures of the listing.

Much to my surprise - this little foot was also in the box! I'm more excited about getting this than all of the rest!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 PM

What is the little foot for? I've never seen anything like it.
Rodney
Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 AM

it's called a Dooley Foot, the neat think is having that slide on part. I've seen some in the back clamp and side clamp style missing the slide on attachment.

This is what they instructions say it can do:

"One foot sews eight ways: Hemstitching, Picoting, Embroidering, Crochet foundation, Binding, Tucking, Shirring, Smocking and Regular sewing"

At some point, Singer also made a multi-purpose foot called the Style-O-matic. That is the expensive one. From what I've read it's not that easy to use and using a single purpose foot for the application gives much nicer results - still something fun to have though.

Plain Stitching, French Seams, Binding, Tucking, Edge-Stitching, Fancy Edgings, Lace Insertions, Shirring, Ornamental Stitching, Invisibly Stitched Braiding, Shirring & Ornamental Stitching, Shirring and Invisibly Stitched Braiding, Smocking, Piping, Hemstitching, Picoting, Crochet Edge .
Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Macybaby, I am glad that someone else now has a Dooley Foot. Mine is the back clamping foot, but I don't have the extra slide on part for mine. Mine is more the color of aluminum, and yours looks more gold in color. Mine looks a little more primitive and yours looks more polished, or refined than mine.
I also see you have a stiletto with the screw driver. Would you be wanting to part with them? I'm really wanting a stiletto for my machines.
What's that pointy long thing in the front of the second picture?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM

You have really inspired me to look my attachments in a new light, rather than stuff that sits in a drawer. I've never heard of a Dooley Foot. Were they made for specific machines or brands?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:55 AM

Janis - sorry, I'm not parting with the screwdriver and stilleto. They are some of the hardest pieces of the sets to find.

That pointing long thing is a hook rug needle. I've got several of them in with assorted sewing notions. It's always fun to really look at what comes in a mixed lot of goodies. I've made a few mistakes - thinking something was different than what I could make out. I hate contacting the seller - because it usually alerts them that they've got something other than a mixed lot of junk - and then they change the narrative so others looking find it easier and the bidding increases.

I don't blame the seller for wanting to get the best price - but I'd rather not pay more because I'm the one that educated them. BTW- the foot is regular nickel plated color - just like most of my other attachments. The clip part is shinier, and I think that may have been added at a later date so one could also do shirring with the foot. I've seen copies of the original patent - and the extra clip was not included.

Monroe - I've seen the Dooley foot for back, top and side clamp. Back clamp fits the older Singer 66, side clamp fits any short shank side clamp machine (like most vintage Singers).

The top clamp is the one that has variations. The instructions I've seen mention that there were different top clamp ones to fit different machines. There are two basic widths to the notch, and two basic locations for the needle - so four basic style - accept that the early Standard were also high, and the early National were very low.

Though the one I have has a wider notch that would be fore the White or National, the rest of the attachments have the narrow notch for the New Home/Free style.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Cathy, it doesn't hurt to ask, from what I'm told. Someone some day will be willing to get rid of the stiletto, so that' why I ask. I've been able to get some of the screwdrivers for my machine, but no stilettos as yet.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:15 AM

no, it never does hurt to ask. And if I do end up with extras - I'll keep you in mind. The stilettos are easier to find than the small screwdrivers too - I figure the small screwdrivers had lots of other uses, so they ended up in a different drawer than the sewing stuff.

One bright note - the Greist stuff is way, way less collectable than the Singer, so that helps.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

That is wonderful...