Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt? >

How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt?

How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt?

Old 12-28-2013, 02:38 PM

I made 59 projects this last year -- anything from receiving blankets with crocheted edges to twin size quilts, purses, placemats, nightgowns and doll clothes. Actual working time to make a twin quilt is probably a 40-50 hours, including the quilting and binding. That said it can take up to a year to complete the whole process due to life intruding on projects.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM

My record time is 1 week while working full time. The one for my avatar was done in 7 to 10 days piecing full time to make the top. Plus the design time and the quilting time. Longest was to finish my first quilt, 9 patch pieced entirely by hand on both sides, and tied, was 5 years whille going to school full time and working 3 of those 5 years. Average is a few months while working full time.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I can make a Trip Around the World top w/ eight fabrics ( 70" square W/ one border) in a weekend, say six or seven hours each day. Loading it onto the LAM and panto quilting another six / seven hours, binding another six + hours.

This one has two borders and will overhang a queen size bed a few inches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453647[/ATTACH]
peace
Attached Thumbnails tatw-hs-flwers-017.jpg  

Last edited by ube quilting; 12-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
My theory is, if you are in a hurry buy a blanket If you want a quilt sit down and make one. You can accomplish absolutely anything even doing just 15 steady minutes a day.
That's the way I see it ;-)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Depends on how many times I move in the middle of making it. Sigh
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Depends on pattern, work schedule, baby schedule, life, my arm, it can take months to years really, some have taken me limited time, some life got in the way didn't necessary take long but worked on them very infrequently, one is already into its 3rd year at this moment but am concentrating on finishing it right now. Its a very simple pattern that could be done in a week if I had nothing but time
Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Depends on the pattern and size of the bed. I take my time, want it to be a nice a I can possibly get it.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Thanks ladies for your answers.
Happy quilting to all of you!!!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 AM

I think I sew and quilt a lot but when I see what others make it doesn't seem like that much. If I make 3 - 4 quilts in a year that's a lot for me. I tend to make complex patterns however which takes more time in planning, cutting and piecing together. I've never used a kit or a line of fabric so picking out just the right fabrics takes time. I usually have something in mind and will collect those fabrics over a few year span. Last year I made a quilt for my husband that had car themed fabric which I have been collecting for the last four years. I don't buy precuts or have a cutter that uses a die so just cutting the pieces out takes time. I also quilt my quilts heavily and use an older domestic sewing machine so that is very time consuming as well. I enjoy the journey as much as the finished quilt so it really doesn't matter that it takes me a long time. Quilting is not a race where the person who makes the most wins.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 AM

Aye, yai, yai! I am flabbergasted at the productivity some of you are capable of. For me, it's a lot like Dolphyngyrl and citruscountyquilter said. I'm happy trying to finish my 4th couch sized quilt before the end of the year. Also made 3 mini wall quilts. That's a pretty good year for me. I think it is important not to get caught up in comparing yourself to others. Cheer them on, but be happy with your own pace.

PS - Ube, I Love your trip around the world! The borders are gorgeous and the pieced fabrics look perfect with them.

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 12-30-2013 at 05:11 AM.