Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-usually-take-you-make-bed-sized-quilt-t237598.html)

mary123 12-28-2013 12:18 PM

How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt?

How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt?
Know that varies greatly with the pattern, but I am just curious what your
average time would be.
How many quilts did you make in 2013?
Wishing all of you sister quilters a wonderful New Year!!!!

carolaug 12-28-2013 12:21 PM

Depends on how many hours you want to sew per day. I can do a simple pattern in a weekend. I have a Go cutter that cuts up the pieces. I have a harder pattern, normally one month.

stillclock 12-28-2013 12:39 PM

forever plus a day.

i am slow and steady.

in 2013 i finished 3 quilts. one was a hand quilted queen which i had been working on for nearly 2 years. the other was a machined one i finished piecing about a year ago. the third was a commission that came together in about a month.

aileen

nvb50 12-28-2013 12:40 PM

I made 7 twin size quilts, 3 baby quilts, and 2 queen size quilts in 2013.

jcrow 12-28-2013 12:43 PM

In 2013 I made only a few -- had a bad year, but my friend Fran (here on the board) made over 20! And that's not including all the totes she made and the scarves she knitted. And I'm talking queen quilts. She makes queen quilts in a weekend! She's a go getter!

helou 12-28-2013 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 6478589)
forever plus a day. i am slow and steady.

I am slow and not even steady loll I did 1 and pieced another one stopped for the summer et stopped in november... not at all in the production line but just "whenever" if you know what I mean

SlightlyOffQuilter 12-28-2013 01:12 PM

I finished 31 this year total. 1 Queen, 1 Full , 3 Twin, 2 Baby, 6 Wheelchair ( 36 x 36 ) and the rest were various size throw / nap size. I can do a twin in anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on the pattern.

Emma S 12-28-2013 01:25 PM

If I don't get sidetracked, and that's a very big IF, I can finish a queen size quilt in about 90 days. That would include piecing both front and back, sandwiching, quilting on my home machine and binding. In 2013 I finished five queen size and one king.

HomespunHearth 12-28-2013 02:13 PM

I made 23 quilt tops... but while all of them were quilted, only 9 have the binding on them. They varied in size from lap - to king - taking about 3 -10 days (depending on the size and complexity) from planning/design -cutting - piecing, and then can generally expect them back from our quilter in about a week. But ... then that binding could take me years .. and I actually like hand-turning the binding, but find myself falling asleep on the couch before 9 ... more nights than not ...

KalamaQuilts 12-28-2013 02:36 PM

I see a lot of quilts shown here where the busy quilters have finished a twin-ish top in a weekend.

On the other end of the spectrum are the quilts that take many hundreds of hours because they are precision pieced and hand quilted.

My theory is, if you are in a hurry buy a blanket :) If you want a quilt sit down and make one. You can accomplish absolutely anything even doing just 15 steady minutes a day.