Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How long does it usually take you to make a bed-sized quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-long-does-usually-take-you-make-bed-sized-quilt-t237598.html)

petpainter 12-30-2013 05:08 AM

Boy, I am a new quilter, BUT, when I make a quilt I want it to be not just well made, but different and interesting- I want to learn from it. I have a friend that cranks out a quilt in a weekend, but she only does very simple patterns. To me it is an art and the time and thought in making a beautiful pattern are more important. (there is a time when you have to get a quick baby quilt done or alike). I want them all to be special.
Charity quilts are in a different category, too, but I mean one for yourself or to be gifted. It shouldn't be a race-enjoy the process. We all have different sewing time available, and different physical capabilities. Don't get discouraged by the ones that can whip them out quicker than us!!

lclang 12-30-2013 05:12 AM

I don't keep track. I sew while the washer and dryer are running, while the dinner is cooking or the bread is in the oven. A few minutes here and there between other jobs. I have a very bad back and cannot sit at the sewing machine for long periods but can get a lot done in short spurts.

ownedbydogs 12-30-2013 05:22 AM

Sew far every respondent has me beaten. I am replying more to the reference to bad back. Have you tried the gizmo you see in all the catalogues that is worn to improve posture while sewing? I use mine around the house as my back is a mess too.

solstice3 12-30-2013 05:32 AM

It depends on my motivation and what is going on around me. I pieced a queen Bargello in two weeks AFTER work. It took me a month to get around to doing the borders.

IrishgalfromNJ 12-30-2013 05:40 AM

Earlier this year I kept a minute by minute diary of how long it took me to make a 60" x 70" quilt. Here's what I found out: I spent 32 hours and 2 minutes making the quilt between March 31 and April 22. This total includes the time I took to wind bobbins, clean machines, wash, iron and cut fabric. It took me 19 hours to just make the top. The quilting only took 4.5 hours because I only cross-hatch quilted it with a walking foot. I used two different machines, one for piecing and one for quilting and binding so I used 5 bobbins for piecing and binding and 3 bobbins for quilting.

I work full-time so I do the bulk of my sewing on the weekend. I might sew for an hour or two at night but most nights I'm too tired to sit in front of the machine.

Krystyna 12-30-2013 05:53 AM

I'm working on one now - a scrappy using HSTs. It took me most of a day to iron and starch the fabric. Another day to cut them out on my Go! and start sewing together. Then a good chunk of a day to iron the seams and figure out my layout. Hoping to work on it more today.
How many quilts did I make in 2013? Only three small ones - throw size, several small arty ones, and a pile of tops.
I guess I'd better quilt them sooner or later. :o

mary123 12-30-2013 05:53 AM

Thanks IrishgalfromNJ for the detailed time description. I have thought about keeping a log of my time on a quilt but never have taken the time to actually record my time making a quilt. I do love to quilt and I love the journey and I love the end result.

Kris P 12-30-2013 06:06 AM

It depends on if I have a deadline. Last year I made 2 large throws for my nephews who were graduating within about 45 days. I rarely work on a quilt from start to finish without moving onto something else. I have several tops started, and will finish those, then switch to something else. Later I'll get on a quilting kick and quilt a few tops before moving onto starting another top, or sewing finished blocks together. I really should just finish up everything I have started so I don't feel so overwhelmed.

mynani 12-30-2013 06:10 AM

I am such a slacker with my quilting. If I finish a couple I'm happy. What do you do with all those quilts? My family and grandkids all have double beds and I really don't like to make quilts that large.

quilterpurpledog 12-30-2013 06:11 AM

A short time if that is necessary. Or, longer if time allows. In short, however long I have. I actually do better when the time frame is short. I work well under some pressure.