Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Furniture Question for Glenn and Others off topic >

Furniture Question for Glenn and Others off topic

Furniture Question for Glenn and Others off topic

Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 AM

Default Furniture Question for Glenn and Others off topic

My DD is moving into my childhood home to be closer to classes and her clinicals while she is in nursing school. Even though it will be hard on me, it will be good for her to spread her wings a little before she is truly out on her own, and the neighbors will be happy someone will be living in the house and they will keep an eye on her. She wants to use my Mom's bedroom furniture; not sure how old it is, but I'm guessing early/mid 60's. The finish on it is like a heavy whitewash?? The problem is both of my parents were life-long smokers. What would be the best thing to use to get some of the yellowing off the finish? I know it won't all come out, but anything I can get out would be great. Assuming the picture attaches, you can see a white spot by the penny. The rest of it is not as yellowed as the picture shows, but it is pretty stained. Short of stripping it, I'm will to try anything. Thank you to everyone in advance for any help or suggestions you may have.
Attached Thumbnails moms-dresser.jpg  

Last edited by newbiequilter58; 12-29-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: to attach picture
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Well, I bought a sewing machine in a table and it was the same way. I just washed it with Murphy's liquid oil soap. My rags were black.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM

She'll need to rip out all carpets, drapes, anything with fabric as well as get smoke sealant paint for the walls & ceilings to be used after scrubbing the bejeebers out of the walls. Get rid of any paneling, too. You can't scrub it enough. The smoke smell may take years to leave. Best of luck!
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Barney: I wondered if Murphy's would work. I'll give it a try. Your experience sounds encouraging.

GreyQ: we are in the process of doing that now. Cleaning out all closets, kitchen cabinets, etc first. Kiltz is at the top of the list for painting supplies. Her bedroom furniture is not quite as yellowed as the picture shows, but close. I hope to clean it up quite a bit. It's all wood and in very good shape outside of the yellowing.
I guess the one good thing about her having severe dementia is that she has forgotten that she smokes.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 PM

I have found that 409 does wonders on cutting the stuff. However, it will destroy the finish as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Maybe lemon in whatever cleaning solution? Shouldn't have any chemical reaction; cuts oils; leaves a fresh scent.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Another vote for Murphy's here. Looks like a pickled oak finish. It was popular when your furniture was made.
Rodney
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Long ago I wound up using slightly diluted 409 on my parents' wood paneling, and a Lot of rolls of paper towels. Murphy's just wouldn't clean 40 years of smoking well enough. It did a great job, then I used Liquid Gold. No more odor. I'm sure true refinishers will have more modern advice. Kilz is magic for sealing surfaces for painting after they are cleaned. Be sure to use good ventilation.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I think Mr. Clean wall cleaner with lemon would help. The lemon helps cut the smoke residue off the walls. Any cleaner for woodwork that has lemon in it helps. Murphy's oil soap is good. Some oils cut oil.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 AM

Go to my profile and click on my threads you will find my tutorial on cleaning and reviving furniture finishes. I have a solution called Solution 1. Mixed some of this up and it will clean and get rid of any order. Murphy's oil soap is just soap and has no oil in it. This solution is 1 part linseed oil, 1 part turpintine and 1 part denatured alcohol. Shake well the clean the piece using lots of rags. Although your furniture smells like smoke most of the yellowing of the finish is from age and some from smoke. I see from the picture that a lot of the finish is wore off so what ever method you use be careful.
Skip