Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Keep Dog Off the Furniture

Suz

Suggestions for Keep Dog Off the Furniture

We just adopted a senior dog. When we are in the house, no problem with him getting on the furniture. But, just allow us to leave and he gets up on either the sofa or chair. We have tried the newspapers on the seats. Does not work. I have heard of mousetraps on the seats but have not tried.

Do any of you have a suggestion? He's a good boy when it comes to walking on a leash and seems accepting that this is home. Even though we have had him just a week, he knows our driveway when we return. He is generally pleasant, just this one problem. Thanks for your response.

How about a cozy dogbed with a plastic tablecloth on the furniture for a bit....

Suz, this probably isn't the advice you want but I'll tell you what worked for me. And you're right--they are little angels when we're home but take advantage of us leaving LOL. I caved in! When I'd leave the house I'd throw an old sheet over the couch & love seat and let him sleep there if he wanted! We, too, had adopted an older rescue and the saying is true: can't teach an old dog new tricks. If we had gotten him as a puppy, I would have trained him not to get on furniture. (Please know my couch & love seat are not new--pretty ugly BTW). I hope someone has some REAL advice for you, not my "oh, he's comfortable, let him be" advice. Thank you for adopting an older dog--not many people do!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    I have a 4yr old and a 14 yr old that were never allowed on the furniture. I could still tell when I came home (just in the past few yrs)that they'd been on the sofa. I'd point to it and yell and they'd lower thier heads, they knew but that didn't stop it. Now, I just lock them up in a closed room so I don't have to fight with them. Sometimes it doesn't matter when you got a dog and how you trained them, they'll try to change things around at some point. I'm lucky that I have a couple of rooms that don't really have furniture in them so it works. Good luck
    Judy

If you pet is clean then what's the problem of being on the furniture? Usually my dog will go in one spot of the sofa. I keep a throw folded up for her on that spot. I give the sofa a quick vacuum with a dustbuster every morning and no problem with pet hair.
    I love my life!

You could try to block access to the furniture but if he's determined, it probably won't matter much. We got a large, sturdy plastic baby fence (you can position it in any number of ways) to put around the hot tub. Tub is partially sunk into the deck and a couple of the dogs over the years would jump up on that so they could see over the fence. I guess between the vine and age, the older one no longer does this (she used to just knock the fence over) and the younger one has never tried...but he's the only one who didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    If you pet is clean then what's the problem of being on the furniture? Usually my dog will go in one spot of the sofa. I keep a throw folded up for her on that spot. I give the sofa a quick vacuum with a dustbuster every morning and no problem with pet hair.
    I agree. I just keep a fleece throw at one end of the sofa and that's exactly where my dog goes day and night... whether we're home or not. What's the harm?

I agree, buy some of that plastic clear vinyl, not the thinnest and see if it will work. Dogs don't care for the feel of vinyl.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Having had dogs for the last 25 years , you can either put a throw over the spot and allow it or completely block the sofa, we have put an ironing board (folded) on top of sofa to stop dog climbing up. Good luck lol, ( From a definite no dogs on the sofa I have given in ) dogs 1 Norma 0 x

I usd to put a folding chair on my couch to keep the dogs off. Worked.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I've had good luck with "scat mat" type products - but the beeping ones, not the shocking ones. They're pressure sensitive mats that you can lay out on the couch, and if they try to get on the couch it beeps at them. No shocks, just sound. (They do make shocking ones but I haven't used them.) Hard part is you have to remember to put it out each day/night, and keep the batteries fresh. And then there's always the time you forget it's there and scare yourself... LOL

I have heard that bubble wrap will keep cats away from something, so maybe it works for dogs too.

I pulled the wall to wall carpet up in my den and put wood flooring in. It stopped them because they can't get a running start on that floor. They tried a few times but eventually gave up. They're both 12, one a mini poodle and the other a tiny toy....so now I make sure they have little beds all over the den that they CAN get to and they seem happy with that. Of course, bedtime is a totally different matter....they both sleep with me in my king-size bed!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

ah but they like to be comfortable too. i just use a comfort on my couch.

Wide heavy duty aluminum foil may work, It makes lots of noise when they get on it and most dogs/cats don't like it. Also good for keeping cats off your counters.

I put a curtain rod on the sofa and the dog has not gotten on it since.........so when someone comes over they think I was cleaning or working with the curtains.....but Andy was a couch sitter.....now he won't go near it......and Andy is 10 so it's true dogs can learn new tricks......

I have 7 cats.....there is no way to keep them off my furniture, so I always through an old sheet over my upholstered pieces before leaving the house. While I'm home, they know to stay off, but coming home to a clump of cat hair is most telling!

just put a blanket on the couch when you leave and let the old dog nap in comfort.my dogs are allowed on the couch.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

i throw a blanket or sheet across whatever i don't want pet hairs on, my DH uses mousetraps. The noise when they get activated scares them off, not getting pinched. You don't bait them, just set them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My dogs go into their kennels when were gone. They are not allowed on the furniture and never have been. On our laps yes furniture no. It's enough to keep up with the dog hair on the floor and floating around on the furniture/tables with out letting them lay on it. I love the two we have but when their time comes that's it. We can't get anyone to care for our dogs with out them either getting sick or something when we want to go on a vacation. Hence it's been at least a decade since DH has gone out of town. He trusts them with no one and I feel the same way. Just not letting them on the furniture. Another reason we have no cats. I've had my fill of them about 25 years ago. I don't hate animals, I just don't really need them.

My two little dogs sleep in oversized kennels. My 11 month old is too short to get on furniture. My avatar dog has long legs and jump anywhere she wants.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    get a cat to yell at him. if the cat is there, she won't let a dog sleep in her place.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I have found that my dogs HATE the smell of VicksVapor rub.

When I had trouble with a stray cat sitting on my cushions outsude, I stuck a couple of pieces of paper towel that had a glob of Vicks on it, on them, and it worked.

When I had puppies, I'd rub Vicks on the cords of lamps and they'd leave them alone. No chewing!

Of course, there is an odor of Vicks until you remove them
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    This will be a little labor intensive but it works most of the time. Go to your local "buy it cheap" store and get a roll or two of contact paper. Before you go out the next time, cut off a strip full width, and peel the backing a little at a time. Put the first edge face down at the inner corner of the couch on the cushion. As you peel it more, pull it across the couch sticky side up, making sure it comes to the front edge, and when you get to the other end, fold it back and stick it to the other end cushion. Do the same for any chairs etc. this works best when you will only be gone a short time. When you leave, the dog will jump up, become tangled in all that sticky, and avoid the couch from then on! For insurance when I did this, as I left the house after that, I would put strips of clear tape on the cushions so he would smell it and walk away. Worked like a charm. He never gets on the livingroom furniture now, but when we are gone ,if we forget to shut the bedroom door, I will have to vacuum all that hair off the bed before I can get in it. It is easier than contact papering the whole bed. Did I mention that he is Husky, Malamute, German Shephard, and wolf? He really is a walking hair dispenser.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    We just adopted a senior dog. When we are in the house, no problem with him getting on the furniture. But, just allow us to leave and he gets up on either the sofa or chair. We have tried the newspapers on the seats. Does not work. I have heard of mousetraps on the seats but have not tried.

Do any of you have a suggestion? He's a good boy when it comes to walking on a leash and seems accepting that this is home. Even though we have had him just a week, he knows our driveway when we return. He is generally pleasant, just this one problem. Thanks for your response.
    As he is a senior I would chuck a cover over them, Im pretty sure my old lab used to sneak up on the sofa when I went out, but to be honest it didn't really bother me.

Why on earth would anyone want to use a mousetrap so so cruel if the dogs gets caught

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast