Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help for very special project! >

Need help for very special project!

Need help for very special project!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
RST

My favorite source for professional quality hardware and interlinings is here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html#Hardware. When a developer is creating prototype hiking backpacks or baby carriers, they get their stuff at this place. Plus the prices are good.

I think it's important to use heavy duty hardware-- wheelchair bags get heavy use and a lot of unusual stress points.

I'll hazard a guess, since it's a pediatric chair and it's in a custom color, that this is not an off-the-shelf chair. The sizes of the arm rests and seat back are custom, so looking online is not accurate for knowing how to fit it. It probably would be helpful to know if she is going to self-propel (large wheels to the sides) or if it's an assistant driven chair (more room to the sides, but important to keep the back streamlined so that attendant can get to the handles to push. It's also likely that she will have a tray attachment, which can get in the way of accessing side-mounted bags, but which is very useful.

Another item which we find very useful for my son is a caddy mounted on the back of the van driver's seat which holds items he may need while in the car-- you've probably seen lots of them made for toddlers-- usually velcro attached strap that goes around the headrest, plus a belt to hold it flush to the seat.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM

There are some fushia fabrics listed for sale on this board - if they aren't sold out. Good price for them too.
Look a few days back.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM

I saw a bag made from jelly rolls on MissouriStar Quilting (I think). It could be modified to work on the back of the wheelchair with some changes to the straps. I teach sped and I like when parents include backpacks on the wheelchairs...it makes it much easier for the child to keep track of their things. Blessings for you and your family.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
How do you hang a bag over the wheel and not create a huge problem with movement? Even hanging inside--couldn't be very big and wouldn't allow for more than a couple books
It's true, this small bag would not hold a lot, six inches is not very deep, but I think it would not interfere with the wheel on the outside, and would be easy to get at if it were on the inside. It would just be for things she wanted to have on hand and not have to ask someone for: tissues, pencils, note pad, etc.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
In my experience, most Velcro will hold only a limited amount of weight, unless you use industrial strength Velcro-------------which is available.
I thought the same thing. But the hospital gives us the Velcro to use, and it does look like industrial strength. That stuff really holds. And I would hope it wouldn't be loaded down with a ton of stuff.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM

you can try "charity wheelchair patterns ", they have free patterns.