Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301 with case and accessories >

Singer 301 with case and accessories

Singer 301 with case and accessories

Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Default Singer 301 with case and accessories

I have the opportunity to buy a Singer 301 with case in excellent condition..for $99...Is that a fair price or too much or too little..need advice asap...before it's gone...thanks...
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Your market may be different that's why we don't do a lot of appraisals. Too many variables. 301s tend to go high around my area. If it's in good condition I'd say it's a fair price. Make sure it has the bobbin case. They use the same ones as the 221 featherweights and are $30 or more to replace.
Rodney
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM

I guess the question I always ask myself, "if I were never able to sell this at a price close to what I'm paying, will I be okay with it?" (Or am I the only one around silly enough to make this purchase?) The only way to know for sure, is don't buy it and see how long it takes for it to sell to someone else. And thereby you get the satisfaction of knowing for sure that there is at least one more vintage sewing machine collector!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Texas is such a hard market to call. Check the completed/sold listings on eBay and decide if it's a fair price for you.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a Singer 301 with case in excellent condition..for $99...Is that a fair price or too much or too little..need advice asap...before it's gone...thanks...
My rule is - What has value to one may not to another. If you have the resources and want the machine, purchase it and don't look back. My shop, garage, etc typify this policy.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Sounds fair to me.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM

The 301 is a great machine, so if it is in working order, I would say it is a fair price. Could you find one cheaper? Maybe, but you have this opportunity to get one now and eliminate future driving to find one. Of course, if you enjoy the hunt as much as the conquest, then you could keep looking.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

That's about what I paid for mine last January, and I LOVE MY MACHINE mine had also been professionally serviced, but not many accessories. I'm I'm love with mine and use it for a lot of my piecing.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 AM

I have one and love it!!! Paid more than that for it, from Arkansas. Was it great shape, case was clean, and had some acces. So if you want it, I would go for it, sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 AM

Prices on vintage sewing machines are all over the place depending on where you are, the model of the machine, condition, amount of accessories, etc. So asking if a price is fair is a really huge question. I love going to auctions, estate sales, thrift stores, etc.... and I've learned that if you really want it, go ahead and buy it. It's worth what you're willing to spend. I regret the things I've passed up way more than regretting the purchases I've made. The things I've passed up will haunt me till I die. ..... should have handed over the money and bought them.

And just another thought. Over the holidays I was out shopping with my SIL and she wandered into the sewing machines area at JoAnns. The machine she was drooling over was $8,000 and she doesn't sew nearly as much as I do. The truth is, she doesn't really sew. The only thing I could think about was how many vintage.... wonderful machines I could buy for that kind of money.... it blows my mind thinking about it.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 01-07-2014 at 04:43 AM.