Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle >

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 AM

Red face Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Hi everyone! I have just purchased a vintage Singer 301 (1952) that seems to be in good shape. The motor runs very smoothly, it's clean, oiled, etc... It's my first 'vintage' machine and I've been wanting one for a long while!

I've VERY carefully re-threaded it several times, using both the original manual diagram and a nice You Tube video, and, no matter what I do, as soon as I lower the needle (by hand) just once - to pull up the bobbin thread - the top thread catches on the bobbin shuttle/case. I've even taken out the bobbin case (and bobbin) and watched the bobbin shuttle area while I lower the needle and without fail, the top thread immediately catches on this sort of 'hook' on the bobbin shuttle (no bobbin case inserted!) and wraps around the shuttle.

As I said, I've re-threaded many many times, very carefully and following the instructions to a T. It's not that... Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? It would be so sad to already have to take it for servicing the day I got it in the mail (and I wouldn't know where to take it locally anyway!). I've been waiting to finish a couple of heavy projects (for other people, no less!) and have been so excited for this machine to arrive! Thank you so much for any ideas!!!

ps...other things I've done, just to cover the bases:

--checked and re-checked the bobbin and case and changed the bobbin (as the spool thread wraps around the shuttle even without a bobbin case inserted though, I doubt this is the problem)

--checked for lint, tangled thread, etc... by looking from the side (nice thing about the 301!) and taking off the bottom and giving a good brushing/blowing down there. Nothing. It's clean!

--As stated, very very carefully re-re-re-re-re-threaded the machine per the diagram and video. I can now do it in my sleep and with one hand tied behind my back. Or even both. I could probably do it with the thread between my teeth at this point!

--patted her lovingly and cooed to her, begging her to please...just... WORK. Clearly not helping.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Is the hook assembly placed properly in the notch in the feed dog cover plate? It needs to fit in that slot when you replace the plate or there will be lots of problems. And is your needle in correctly? The flat side faces to the left.

Last edited by Candace; 09-10-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks so much for your response Candace! I did check the needle - flat side left :-) I'm afraid I don't quite understand about the hook assembly being placed properly in the notch...? This sounds promising though as I certainly have not checked that!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435155[/ATTACH]Just in case it could help- here's a picture from below. You can see where the needle is coming down from above. I don't know exactly how it's suppose to be positioned relative to the hook....but maybe someone can tell from this if the hook needle timing is off? :-/ Thanks again for your help!
Attached Thumbnails dscf1109.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435157[/ATTACH]And that area (without the needle down)...
Attached Thumbnails dscf1104_small.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest joining the vintagesingers yahoo group and directing the question to them. Even if you get an answer here, the vintagesingers group provides so much information about our vintage machines that it's worth joining.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Thanks Dunster! I just tried to join the group but yahoo seems a little off maybe? It keeps telling me that I must first create a yahoo profile though I'm clearly logged-in and everything. I tried logging out and back in with no luck....sigh. Today is not my day!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:30 AM

I am not sure on these machines but does the bobbin go in a case that is inserted here? If there is a little thing on the front of the case, pull it out and hold while you insert the case.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks CJsews- the bobbin is in a case and I am able to insert and remove it fine. That's not the problem. It's that with or without the bobbin case inserted, the spool thread is getting wrapped around the hook/shuttle mechanism. The more I look at it, the more I fear that it's the hook needle timing...

The hook should be passing by the needle at it's lowest point, but when the needle is at it's lowest point, the hook is a good inch away still!! :-( So I really need to find a vintage repair manual and see how to adjust the timing... Unless someone can point me in the right direction...? :-)
Old 09-10-2013, 09:28 AM

It looks as if the position finger of the hook assembly that Candace mentioned is broken off. If you have your manual, you can check the part about replacing the bobbin case and it should show that area clearly. That little piece holds everything where it should be to work properly.

NC Pat