Old 09-10-2013, 07:30 AM
DBaila

Red face Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Hi everyone! I have just purchased a vintage Singer 301 (1952) that seems to be in good shape. The motor runs very smoothly, it's clean, oiled, etc... It's my first 'vintage' machine and I've been wanting one for a long while!

I've VERY carefully re-threaded it several times, using both the original manual diagram and a nice You Tube video, and, no matter what I do, as soon as I lower the needle (by hand) just once - to pull up the bobbin thread - the top thread catches on the bobbin shuttle/case. I've even taken out the bobbin case (and bobbin) and watched the bobbin shuttle area while I lower the needle and without fail, the top thread immediately catches on this sort of 'hook' on the bobbin shuttle (no bobbin case inserted!) and wraps around the shuttle.

As I said, I've re-threaded many many times, very carefully and following the instructions to a T. It's not that... Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? It would be so sad to already have to take it for servicing the day I got it in the mail (and I wouldn't know where to take it locally anyway!). I've been waiting to finish a couple of heavy projects (for other people, no less!) and have been so excited for this machine to arrive! Thank you so much for any ideas!!!

ps...other things I've done, just to cover the bases:

--checked and re-checked the bobbin and case and changed the bobbin (as the spool thread wraps around the shuttle even without a bobbin case inserted though, I doubt this is the problem)

--checked for lint, tangled thread, etc... by looking from the side (nice thing about the 301!) and taking off the bottom and giving a good brushing/blowing down there. Nothing. It's clean!

--As stated, very very carefully re-re-re-re-re-threaded the machine per the diagram and video. I can now do it in my sleep and with one hand tied behind my back. Or even both. I could probably do it with the thread between my teeth at this point!

--patted her lovingly and cooed to her, begging her to please...just... WORK. Clearly not helping.