Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle >

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Singer 301: Spool thread wrapping around bobbin case/shuttle

Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM

As if all that weren't bad enough - it's now been two days and the seller hasn't responded at all to my opening of the dispute. Unfortunately, ebay requires that I wait until the 16th to escalate it further. I wish I could warn people away from the seller, but all I can do is leave them negative feedback.

As for the timing- yes, very strange! I didn't actually try to sew with it myself at all (just got as far as using the hand crank to try and pull up the bobbin thread). The repair guy hypothesized that they might have actually tried sewing with it and ended up with a mad tangle underneath which they then tried to 'bully' out, which resulted in the breaking of the piece.

Then they sold me the machine, claiming it was 'running good'- hahaha. Oh well. I'm actually already in love with her and just can't wait to bring her back to her new home again.

And yes- they seem very nice at the local place - I definitely seem to have lucked-out! I was kind of drooling over all the gorgeous vintage machines they had for sale, refurbished, and we chatted shop a bit, so I think he knows I'll be a long and loyal customer if they win me over now!

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
If it weren't against the rules here, I'd ask who the seller is so I could avoid them in the future.

I'm really surprised that with the timing that far off that it wasn't breaking needles.

Your local shop is doing a good thing for you. Usually the price of used is about half of new, and half of double or more of wholesale is way more than they're charging you.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Dbaila,

Make sure that the part (bobbin case base) is for a 301. That part is not interchangeable with the 221 even though the hook assembly is interchangeable.

Cathy
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DBaila View Post
As if all that weren't bad enough - it's now been two days and the seller hasn't responded at all to my opening of the dispute. Unfortunately, ebay requires that I wait until the 16th to escalate it further. I wish I could warn people away from the seller, but all I can do is leave them negative feedback.

As for the timing- yes, very strange! I didn't actually try to sew with it myself at all (just got as far as using the hand crank to try and pull up the bobbin thread). The repair guy hypothesized that they might have actually tried sewing with it and ended up with a mad tangle underneath which they then tried to 'bully' out, which resulted in the breaking of the piece.

Then they sold me the machine, claiming it was 'running good'- hahaha. Oh well. I'm actually already in love with her and just can't wait to bring her back to her new home again.

And yes- they seem very nice at the local place - I definitely seem to have lucked-out! I was kind of drooling over all the gorgeous vintage machines they had for sale, refurbished, and we chatted shop a bit, so I think he knows I'll be a long and loyal customer if they win me over now!
Even if the seller "makes it right" by refunding some portion of the money, I would still leave negative feedback saying that it wasn't as advertised and wasn't a working machine / parts were broken, etc, because that will help future buyers. Lots of sellers like to try to get you to leave positive feedback because they refunded some, but you are going to a lot of hassle for this machine, that you didn't expect to.

It -is- possible the seller is on vacation or has some other reason to not get back to you. I hope that's it.

Even trying to pull up the bobbin thread I would have thought the needle would have hit the hook with it that far out. The last machine i worked on for timing was less than 3/8" out and the needle was dragging. Lucky. It's a pain to deal with the shards.
It's always good to find a good SMG old or young.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Dbaila,

Make sure that the part (bobbin case base) is for a 301. That part is not interchangeable with the 221 even though the hook assembly is interchangeable.

Cathy
It's not? That's weird, I thought it was. My supplier's list says that the hook base is the same for the 221, 222, and 301... so does the sewing parts online link I posted (no, they're not one and the same "supplier" )

I will peel apart one of the 301s and see if I can get a part number for you then.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Do you have the needle in the right direction? Are you threading the right direction? Are there any burrs on the needle plate or the hook?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:40 AM

The hook assembly is the same. The bobbin case base isn't. The finger on the 301's base is shaped slighly different than on the 221. The 221 base will fit in the hook of the 301, but when sewing fast the finger will slip out of the space it sits in between the two springs on the underside of the feed dog plate. I have dealt with this exact problem when I serviced a 301 that had had the babbinn case base replaced by one from a 221.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It's not? That's weird, I thought it was. My supplier's list says that the hook base is the same for the 221, 222, and 301... so does the sewing parts online link I posted (no, they're not one and the same "supplier" )

I will peel apart one of the 301s and see if I can get a part number for you then.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Do you have the needle in the right direction? Are you threading the right direction? Are there any burrs on the needle plate or the hook?
She definitely has a huge burr in the form of the locating finger on the hook base being broken off.

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
The hook assembly is the same. The bobbin case base isn't. The finger on the 301's base is shaped slighly different than on the 221. The 221 base will fit in the hook of the 301, but when sewing fast the finger will slip out of the space it sits in between the two springs on the underside of the feed dog plate. I have dealt with this exact problem when I serviced a 301 that had had the babbinn case base replaced by one from a 221.
I just disassembled the 301 - the part number on the Hook base is 170166. You are correct! (Not that I doubted you. )

I did know that the piece with the 2 springs on it was different, as well as the throat plate (because it has screw holes for the springs in a different spot) but I didn't realise the finger was different too, but looking at them side by side, yes, they are a little different.

I wonder how many other parts are listed wrong on all of these sites then I wonder if the "replacement" was the 301 version and the longer finger is "OK" on the featherweight? I just don't know if I feel like disassembling both to find out...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 PM

I just took my 1950 FW apart - the hook base is 45752, not even the same number as in the parts charts.
Most of the hook parts that I can see numbers on (this far disassembled) are all different than the 301. Unless one number supersedes another I wouldn't have ever thought to interchange them based on the parts charts, and confirmed by what I see here.

Additionally, the parts chart says I should have the new bobbin case in the 301 (45751, not 45750) and it's the old one in it.

I guess the moral of this story is DBaila - make sure that the parts your local shop puts in are 301 parts and not 221 parts, and the correct part numbers may be a challenge to find out.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM

If the bobbin case is in place you will most likely not have the problem. However without the bobbin case in place I don't think the problem will go away.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM

What is your general location? Like --- what state are you in?
Old 12-13-2023, 04:24 PM

Default Me too

I am having the exact same issue with my 301A!! Did you ever figure out what was going on? But mire importantly the fix?
thanks
Sewing seems frustrating...
Randy